Door schedule with split levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door schedule with split levels

Hi there, I'm dipping my toe into the murky world of Revit after a few torturous years of working in Aecosim :banghead:. I'm creating a door schedule for a large building which has multiple levels at ground floor. I've created multiple levels at ground floor for the different areas (loading bay, retail unit A, retail unit B etc).

My question is;

Is there any way to get these multiple levels to come through on the door schedule all under 1 level? The way the doors are numbered means we have doors 1-20 in level 00 but then a gap of 6 doors and they start again at door 26 as doors 21-25 are under retail unit A level.

Should i export to excel and mess around with the spreadsheet (i dont really want to do that) or should i mess around with the layout of the sheet file and clip the schedule into the correct order?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Are there a lot of total levels in the building? Depending on how you want the rest of the schedule to display you could either break out just those first few levels as their own schedule and not sort by level, or add another parameter to sort by so you can group the first floor. The second approach probably gives you more of the look you want, but it will require any new doors added later to have the parameter manually added (or put something together in Dynamo to do it)

Comment

thanks chris, i think i'll try option 1. putting something together in dynamo is a bit beyond me at the moment (although i am looking into using it).

Comment

Is it just the Unit A you want to exclude, or are there others?
        If it's just the one, you could include a Filter that says Level no equal to A Level or the equivalent.
        Failing that, you can't do an "OR" (yet), so you'll have to be clever with your "AND"s
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Add an instance text parameter to your door schedule. Select all the doors you want to be included in Level 1, and type "Level 1" into that text field. Set the schedule to group doors by that text field with a header, and make sure that the schedule is not being filtered or sorted by Levels. Then in Formatting set that text field to Hidden. That will make all the doors group by the "Level" text that you type in, with that text as the header of each group. Makes the schedule real clean.

Comment

This is a good case scenario in using a tool like CTC's Spreadsheet Link tool to propagate the Text parameter from the Level's parameter. I had a team come to me with the same "want", but I suggest no to try to make revit report a "manual" parameter in which it can automate; self inflicted additional layer of management is taboo unless it's a FUBAR situation at which point it's a SOL situation & then need to. So, the situation couldn't lend itself to re-hosting to the "wanted" Level then offsetting the sill height, which I'd suggest in doing if you can (documentation like dims/tags not being an issue).

Comment

Originally posted by cftrevizo View Post
              This is a good case scenario in using a tool like CTC's Spreadsheet Link tool to propagate the Text parameter from the Level's parameter.
              A Dynamo script will do that for $0 before you pump up for CTC...

But pitching Dynamo Vs Pay-to-Play is not my reason for jumping in here.

I wanted to touch on:

Originally posted by cftrevizo View Post
              but I suggest no to try to make revit report a "manual" parameter in which it can automate; self inflicted additional layer of management is taboo
              The thing is this isn't "that" scenario. Revit Levels are not "how-the-real-world-understands" levels.

To be completely accurate:
              Correctly modelled and correctly placed in geometric space, the doors at the differing elevations of the GF are not - truly/technically - all at the same "level" - but traditional documentation / deliverables would have us consider them as if they were.

Yes, one could use a single level and then use per-instance offsets, but no sane person dealing with any sizeable project would suggest that as a sound solution.

Hence the need for hacky workflows!

In this scenario... a custom instance-SP, <Floor Level> (or similar other) works perfectly - especially since a text value SP can be push-populated through groups - and all so that "catch all" schedules can (deliberately) disregard the (correct) way Revit considers "Level"...

Extending the "logic" further, such an SP can readily be assigned to other categories to perform similar/associated tasks (ever try to get Revit's "Level" for a CWP?) and can greatly bolster certain workflows... especially if your Dynamo skills extend to stuff like "Find all elements constrained within Scope Box X..."

Comment

All great thoughts in the thread. But me personally, i would be NUMBERING the Doors in such a way that reflects the level they are on, regardless. Then i would be setting up a Filter based on the Door Number, so you dont have to fudge with another parameter EITHER way.

But, changing office standards isnt always in the cards, i guess.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                  In this scenario... a custom instance-SP
                  Why would it need to be a shared parameter? A simple project parameter will do just as well, unless you want to create tags.
                  All things considered: you know exactly how many of these levels are, or will be in your project. Build one schedule by filtering by level height, make another schedule for the rest of the doors, fake the layout.
                  There must be a better way...

Ekko Nap
                  Professional nitpicker, architect, revit consultant, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    personally, i would be NUMBERING the Doors in such a way that reflects the level they are on, regardless.
                    Aha! We (Dynamo) populate our (custom) SP* "Door Mark" with the <Floor Level> value. Tail-Wags-Dog? :crazy:

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    But, changing office standards isnt always in the cards, i guess.
                    *called, unimaginatively <Custom Door Mark>, years ago, but these day's I'd prefer it <Door Reference> but C'est la vie. :hide:

Originally posted by ekkonap View Post
                    Why would it need to be a shared parameter?
                    Tags. And through-link scheduling.

Comment