Filter by material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter by material?

Is there a way to apply view-specific fill patterns by material? I'm trying to show different metal panel and glass types on a detail elevation but I don't want these patterns to show up in the overall views. For the most part they are curtain panels so it's easy to setup filters for that, but I also have some storefront doors with glass and a few punched windows that I want to show glass types in. I'm still on 2011 here if it matters.

It is possible for curtain wall panels, but for just the glass panels included in doors and windows families, I don't see a way to do that by using filters or Visibility Graphics, not even with subcategories. One possible solution is to modify the families of your doors and windows types, introducing new extrusions over the glass panels, with a material, and then specifying visibility settings for that extrusion in the family editor, to show up only in Fine detail level. Then, in the project, apply a surface pattern to the same material, and override the detail level setting of doors and windows in the views where you want to see the glass types represented with hatch fill patterns.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Alf, am I missing some reason why you cannot use the VG Override for window subcategories? As fas as I know you can easily create custom subcategories for the glass panels in the door/window family. In the project you can override these curstom settings
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
        Alf, am I missing some reason why you cannot use the VG Override for window subcategories? As fas as I know you can easily create custom subcategories for the glass panels in the door/window family. In the project you can override these curstom settings
        Well, I would love to see if, exactly what the OP is asking, is possible with VG and subcategories. I might be wrong, but I tried to do it, and I failed.

Comment

Oh wait, I get your point. The VG is greyed out for subcategories.
          But it can be done if your glass panes are nested shared components. You can then separately select them (using tab) and override by element. So it works for me (I put that in so that I can easily swap between fixed glass and other infills).
          Martijn de Riet
          MdR Advies

Comment

Having to redo all the doors and windows families completely just to be able to achieve this?
            My formula of Time invested vs. Benefit does not sound good in this case...

Comment

LOL, that's probably true...
              But you don't need to redo ALL. Just create a fixed glass family and load it into the families with turning parts in them. You won't need separate families anymore.

EDIT: only other thing I can think off: is the painting tool aware of design options? Can you create design options and paint the glass panels in those?

EDIT2: You could off course use Phasing. Simply Demolish and replace the windows in a new phase and apply a different material.
              Last edited by mdradvies; September 9, 2011, 02:31 PM.
              Martijn de Riet
              MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                LOL, that's probably true...
                But you don't need to redo ALL. Just create a fixed glass family and load it into the families with turning parts in them. You won't need separate families anymore.
                ????

EDIT: only other thing I can think off: is the painting tool aware of design options? Can you create design options and paint the glass panels in those?

EDIT2: You could off course use Phasing. Simply Demolish and replace the windows in a new phase and apply a different material.
                I don't think so; both Design Options and Phasing will affect the project, having to manage those changes in other views. The idea is to show fill patterns by type of glass in windows and doors in a specific view, only, a detailed elevation, and not in all the other views.

Comment