How to create terrain or small mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create terrain or small mountains

Hi, i am trying to draw a house with a small mountainwall behind it, but i have problem with how to creat terrain/toposurface and problem forming the terrain as i want.

This picture is taken from the actual site, any know a good way to draw terrain such as this?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1nx96sofk...01280%20rz.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8p5qnetcy...01287%20rz.JPG

Terrainmap from my local building office:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8fas88s3wsmwyb/Kartdata.JPG

Is there any way i can import the terrainmap i have to convert or use it as an layout to forma terrain map that is a lookalike the actual terrain?

Hi Niet,
    There are a number of different ways to create your topography in revit, manually, using point clouds, or picking points from a linked autocad file.

If the info is a dwg Autocad file, have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0zCKm-j5E video clip which gives reasonably detailed instructions on both how to link a file and then to create the topo.

Hope this helps
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

The file i have is only a image with a known scale 1:200. Is there any other program that may be more easy to draw my terrain in and than export it over to revit?

I do not have any .dwg file with the terrain

Comment

Without the survey heights, anything you do is going to be approximate only.

The image has the property lines on it. You can import the image into revit and scale it up or down so that the property outlines on the image match the property lines as you have set them up in revit. You will still need to discover what elevation is represented by the contour lines. If you can establish that, you can create a very approximate topo by placing points along the contour lines at the correct height.
        Ian Kidston
        http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Gonna try that later today. Is there any way to make this small mountain behind my house "reaistic rendered also"?

Comment

I don't know if it's any help, nor whether it's a good use of Revit but I use Floors for this all the time on small sites.

I set a shallow surface of grass or gravel etc. and then a deep layer of earth and make that layer variable by ticking the checkbox next to it in Floor Properties...

Here's one I am doing at the moment...
            I set a lot of levels with known heights to help keep things reasonably accurate (planar laser survey and even just counting step heights or estimating height by comparing to adjacent buildings - depends how critical the excavation details are).

Hope that is some help.
            Attached Files
            William Sutherland rias riba
            WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
              I don't know if it's any help, nor whether it's a good use of Revit but I use Floors for this all the time on small sites.

I set a shallow surface of grass or gravel etc. and then a deep layer of earth and make that layer variable by ticking the checkbox next to it in Floor Properties...

Here's one I am doing at the moment...
              I set a lot of levels with known heights to help keep things reasonably accurate (planar laser survey and even just counting step heights or estimating height by comparing to adjacent buildings - depends how critical the excavation details are).

Hope that is some help.
              willsud, i've seen you mention this method before but haven't tried it yet
              without stealing the thread...do you render with this type of 'floor-topo'? how does it look?
              There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

It renders OK depending on the texture associated with the finish layer - much like any object I guess.

Attached are a couple of small renders done in Revit 2011 where I've merged with site pictures and considering it only took me 30 minutes or so to create looks not too bad (the water of the lake - Coniston Water - is a floor slab as well ).

Also attached is something more like the retaining wall situation originally posted.

You can see that these are only small projects.

I am doing one currently which is much larger and we did have a proper land survey done but where it ran out at the edges of the site I filled in the gaps with a floor slab - you can see the 'earth' under the floor slab part in the attached screenshot.
                Attached Files
                William Sutherland rias riba
                WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Thanks William,
                  Those renders look really nice, and with photographic s! :thumbsup:
                  Do you use massing (or similar) first, then 'floor by face' or just start by attacking a flat slab?
                  I pretty much get ALL my surveys as .dwg's, 3d ones if I'm lucky, so I usually make my topo's from picking linked contour lines. Otherwise i've modelled my own 'close enough' looking topography in Revit. For renderings I ALWAYS need to add or subtract whatever topography revit automatically creates, especially to make adjoining sites/building/roads or whatever for when I create flyby movies. The lack of selection methods for survey points in Revit I find highly frustrating and a really inefficient use of my time. I also find creating and managing split regions in topo's a real annoyance.
                  I would think i could just use the paint tool on a slab too...?
                  I will have a go using floors when I can and post some results

Thanks again mate :whiskey:
                  elton williams
                  Forum Addict
                  Last edited by elton williams; September 9, 2011, 10:23 AM.
                  There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

overveiewofsite1 looks like a real nice place!

Comment