Wall opening vs Edit Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall opening vs Edit Profile

Can someone explain why one is more beneficial over the other. I googled it, and watched a couple of videos, say for a cased opening...does it matter which it is? Is it a scheduling issue or something I am not aware in terms of hardware and large models...just looking for a simple brain dump on the subject. Merry Christmas eve, all.

For a cased opening, I wouldn't use either but would, instead, use a wall based family with the casing modeled in the family (probably as a nested frame).

As to the differences between the wall opening and edit profile tool -- if you're making a simple rectangular cut, the wall opening might be easier since you don't have to go to elevation/3D to manage it's size. On the other hand, if you're opening is quite large and other walls come into and stop in the opening, editing the profile might be better. IIR, there's also somehting about how these impact rooms but I don't remember the specifics.

I prefer to use a Curtain Wall with a custom "Empty" panel. It's not actually empty as it contains an "X" through the rectangle that I can turn on/off in elevations. I hate chasing Xs.
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Edit Profile: I generally only use it if its for something like sloping top, arched top, following a roof with an offset from the roof, or other very bespoke shape. I dont use it for cutting rectangular openings in walls, or stepping wall heights, or making cased openings. Why?

1. Its a crappy tool, because every single one of them is a custom setup. Generally cased openings are one of a few sizes, and its nice to be able to manage those things with the properties palette telling you what sizes they are. Even if your preference (like mine) is instance over type, its still faster to select and go to the PP to change size, than it is to use Edit Profile.

2. While on that subject, Edit Profile has to be done in 3D or in Elevation or Section, unless youre making the very basic adjustments that you can sometimes pull off in plan by window selecting a vertical sketchline and using the *move* command. I find this to be disruptive to the workflow. I have to *switch views* to change the width of an opening. Yuck. Its not just me having to switch views, either. Anyone else that has to edit my cased (or non-cased) opening after the fact, ALSO has to switch views.

3. The way Edit Profile "presents itself" is a bit ambiguous. Someone selecting the wall might just see Pull Tabs on the wall, and might not realize its Edit Profile, and might just start yanking on the pull tabs. Or, they might get a warning about "Cant make shape, click here to delete" which may then delete or reset some of the Profile Lines. Annoying.

4. Its not very exact. Profile Lines can "shift" depending on joinery with other walls. All in all, just not worth messing with.

Opening Tool, on the Architecture Ribbon: I actually use these less than i use Edit Profile. The one time i get on board with using them (on walls), is on walls that are Curved in Plan, where Components tend to not play very nicely. I also use them (a lot) when making Low Sloped Roofs... But thats another topic alltogether. Otherwise, i avoid them for the following reasons:

1. All custom (instance, one off) shapes.

2. They arent real *objects.* They are what i call modifier objects, meaning they only exist as an editor to other things (walls and other objects they cut). But they dont exist. They dont get scheduled, cant be super intelligently edited. They just sort of sit there. Like lazy relatives during a super bowl party.

3. They dont respect phasing. Mind you, either does Edit Profile.

Components. Most of the time i use Components. I have two different types: A Door Component called 08-DOOR-OPENING-FRAMEOPTIONAL-WH. When its an opening in a wall thats actually getting cased with a Frame, i use this one. It belongs to division 08 (most of the time), and (assuming the frame is coming from a door frame vendor) i want this object in my Door Schedule. So thats where it goes. I have an identical family thats also a Generic Model (and isnt part of division 08), and if someone just wants an opening in a wall (for instance, if there is a hallway that has a header at 7 feet, and they dont want to model it as three separate walls) i use this one.

This makes modeling way more efficient. When i have hallways crossing each other and i know theres going to be a wall crossing *overhead* i dont actually split the walls apart at all, i just start tossing these components in the wall, and running the walls crisscrossed to each other. Makes editing way faster, as no one gets *surprised* to learn the overhead wall was modeled as an individual piece later on.

Also, since they are components, all of the lines (the crosses in elevation, AND the dashed lines in plan) are built in to the components. Thats even more beneficial, since the staff on the job *knows something is there* since they can see it in Plan, and select it. ANNNNNNNNNND it has the added benefit of not having to worry about some turtleneck-wearing-tumblr-theme-adjusting-self-aggrandizing-selfish-snot wanting to change the linetypes on all the dashed lines they are drawing, because its all done in the component.

How do i decide between the GM and the DOOR Variant (even though they are virtually identical families?) The quick Q&A goes like this:

1. Do i want it in the Door Schedule? If yes, Door. If not, question 2:
      2. Does it have a frame (Wood, HM, Aluminum, or other) that is going to be procured by a Door Frame Manufacturer? If yes, Door. If no, question 3.
      3. Do i need to tag it with a Door Tag in a Plan for some reason? If yes, Door. If not, question 4:
      4. Do i need to account for its width related to Egress? If yes, Door. If not, question 5:
      5. Am i asking about making this a Door because someone has filled my head with voodoo information like "Generic models are bad?" If Yes, Generic Model. If No, also Generic Model.

Components can be phased. Components can be Filtered on and off in views. Can be controlled at the Instance or Type Level (or both, if you have them built that way). Can be all sorts of different shapes, as long as you build them that way. Can have trim included (in case you need it), can have linework included, and are just oh-so-damn-fast to model and edit with.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Awesome. This is exactly what I was after. Thanks Greg and Aaron.

Comment