Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical Fixtures - Annotations or Detail Components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Fixtures - Annotations or Detail Components?

How are most of you dealing with traditional symbolic representation of electrical fixtures? I've got modeled fixtures which could possibly be seen in 3D/Elevations/Sections etc.. and for plan views I was going to go with nested generic annotations but the size of symbols is typically much larger (matched from historic AutoCAD electrical legend) than the actual modeled item. We normally produce floor plans at 1:50 and I have a situation where multiple face-plates are to be installed edge to edge (e.g. Double Electrical socket/Coaxial TV/Satellite TV/Telephone/Ethernet etc...),and if I place the items correctly, the symbols will overlap in the plan view however at 1:20 there would be gaps. I then started thinking about Detail Components instead where they would be drawn the same size as the item, yet they look tiny in plan. The only other option I can think of (I'd prefer not to go down but might have no other option) is creating a new family, share & nest all the modeled fixtures placed side by side(all shared) and then insert and place all the plan annotations edge to edge aligned to the centre of the modeled items. Is there any other option I'm missing?

Theres a common method for having offset instance variables for the nested annotation elements:
    Offset symbols.PNG

Heres once of our "samples" attached for your investigations: offset parameters are under the "Graphics" group
    Attached Files
    Alex Page
    RevitWorks Ltd
    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Thanks Alex, I had a similar thought after posting and ended up using the 'Allow negative values in family parameters 'method which lets me move the symbol left or right of the modeled item's position. Seems to work like a champ so far and will hopefully work just as well with electrical connectors for light switch families.

Out of curiosity, what made you go with Face-based over wall-based (assuming the sample family is only ever used on a wall)?

I made a test family from a face-based GM and found I was getting unexpected visibility issues with modeled geometry. It appears the Visibility Settings is relative to the source family e.g. create an extrusion of the elevation view of an electrical fixture's face plate on the Floor Plan View, set its Visibility Off in Plan/RCP, load into a project, place in an elevation view using Place on Face and click on a wall and the family can't be seen. I have to leave Plan/RCP enabled and Front/Back Disable so that it can be seen in elevation and not in plan. Do you concur with this or have I missed a trick somewhere?
      Last edited by BLothian; December 19, 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Wall based completely limits you to walls.
        I personally always use facebased over wall based - just gives you complete versatility of where you put the fixture..could be on the side of a piece of casework, on the floor, on the ceiling, on the side of a stair etc etc...you can even place it on workplanes.
        yeah: takes a bit to get you head around visibility settings. But we dont do it like you mentioned anyway: all of our RevitWorks stuff (where symbols are included) are managed through the detail level isntead (coarse: symbol only, medium: symbol and fitting, fine: fitting only (with more detail if appropriate)). This gives our users the choice of what they want to see instead of us dictating.
        (remembering that detail level can be controlled by category in the visibility settings)
        Alex Page
        RevitWorks Ltd

Comment

The hosting aspect makes sense though I'm unlikely to position fixtures which could be wall hosted on anything except walls. The electrical fixture families I've made so far are face based yet the symbols that are visible in a plan view show even if they ought to be obscured by counter top. Is there a reason for this as the cut plane is above the counter top and doesn't intersect the invisible lines in the electrical fixture families? Also, how do you get fixtures and their host to be visible and display dashed when they are between the Cut plane and Top? As you can see in the image below, nothing is visible in the plan view.

Comment

Symbols will always show through modelled components, but the modelled elements will be hidden.
            Regarding electrical being between primary cutplane and top, unfortunately they wont show OOTB: Revit controls this and you cant change it; the only objects that show are windows, casework and generic models.
            Have another look at the sample I attached above; we have "Cut plane extension" instance parameters to allow you to show high wall fixtures on floor plans (and, say light switches on ceiling plans)
            cutplaneextensions.PNG
            Alex Page
            RevitWorks Ltd

Comment