reveal vs line based GM vs face based GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reveal vs line based GM vs face based GM

i had a project using wall reveals heavily (total about 880), severely slow down the model, regenerates every time i do something even as simple as move/nudge an element.
    i plan to replace all reveals w/ either line based GM (void) but it needs manually cutting wall in rvt, or face based GM which will automatically cut the wall but you cannot specify start/end point.
    i always think line AND face based GM will be very cool but factory doesn't provide this kind of family template (yet?), anyone have idea how to achieve this? if no other choice then which one is better (line based or face based)? well, my preference is line based for now

Face Based, for me. The "draggable ends" arent that much of an advantage over instance based pull-tabs, and the performance when placing the LB versions is tedious.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

The new firm I joined had done In-Place reveals as it was a unique pattern on all sides. Even that method is atrocious. Had them convert each side to Face Based as it needed updates, which when the old method needed updating the joining would break or other & down the rabbit hole they would go to fix it. So the FB method is solid, especially for unique patterns.
      Last edited by cftrevizo; December 18, 2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

right, FB is more safe to control and update, thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          Face Based, for me. The "draggable ends" arent that much of an advantage over instance based pull-tabs, and the performance when placing the LB versions is tedious.
          is it doable to have "draggable ends" in 3D view too? i mean for FB, otherwise i have to switch between 3D and elevation views in order to align those "reveals"

Comment

I dont think so. I always just do them in elevation.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

If you dimension between reference lines in the family you can get grip arrows in 3D.
              Greg McDowell Jr
              about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

You can get them in 3D, by using RefLines instead of RefPlanes on the edges where you'd like the grips.

3D_grips.png

Don't know how usefull you'd find that, I'm having trouble getting the Align tool to pick up some of the faces in 3D. Rather just quickly copy the elevation values in the reveal families, or speed through Align commands in elevation.

*Edit: Greg beat me to it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice! I didn't know the ref line thing also made them show in 3d. That's neat!

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
                  Director
                  Parallax Team, Inc.

Comment

How often do you need to actually drag the end of a line-based family in 3D? A big advantage of LB families is that you can extend & trim them...
                    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment