Dimensions on Multi-Story Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimensions on Multi-Story Projects

Hello - we are doing multi-story apartments plans, and one of the (many) challenges in Revit is the dimensioning on the different floor plans. The office has standards for how the dimensions should be set up (overall plans, unit plans, etc.). My question is this - once we get all the dimensions correct on one floor (like the overall, offsets, openings, etc.) and then match this on the other floors, is there a good way (other than locking) to keep this in place throughout the life of the project? I find that we are constantly going back and correcting these dimensions as the plans change. I hesitate to lock all the dims, as I don't want to over constrain the model. I have reference planes in many locations and this helps. Any other great ideas?
    Thanks!
    starrdesigns

Originally posted by starrdesigns View Post
    Hello - we are doing multi-story apartments plans, and one of the (many) challenges in Revit is the dimensioning on the different floor plans. The office has standards for how the dimensions should be set up (overall plans, unit plans, etc.). My question is this - once we get all the dimensions correct on one floor (like the overall, offsets, openings, etc.) and then match this on the other floors, is there a good way (other than locking) to keep this in place throughout the life of the project? I find that we are constantly going back and correcting these dimensions as the plans change. I hesitate to lock all the dims, as I don't want to over constrain the model. I have reference planes in many locations and this helps. Any other great ideas?
    Thanks!
    starrdesigns
    what are you dimensioning too? Ref planes?? Well, sure, if you dimension to a ref plane that is placed at the face of a wall then you move the wall the dimension will not update. But, if you dimension to your geometry in the plan view when geometry updates the dimensions update automatically. And, I never lock a dimension in the project environment. Have had to many bites on my a** over the years from doing so
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Rather than Lock I suspect you're thinking Pin. Pinning the dimensions will maintain their position. If the elements they are associated with move then they'll update but stay in same place.

You can also create a Saved Selection for the standard dimension layout on the relevant floor. Then if you find you must fix them on other floors later, just delete them. Load the Saved Selection and use Copy to Clipboard and Paste Aligned to Selected Views to quick place them again.

I find some offices apply dimensions only once at the first applicable floor and then only provide more dimensions to identify unique conditions or when the design changes. I also see dimensions for units only being provided in the enlarged plans for each one. It does require the reader to do a lot of page flipping but there less chance of dimension conflicts. More often I find that dimensions I want to see don't exist at all versus finding dimension conflicts.

Any given day a contractor won't really care (read cost someone more money) if the dimension positional formatting varies a little from sheet to sheet, such as this dimension string is closer to the exterior wall on this plan than that plan.

Comment

Group the floor plans. Then add the Sims to the group. Making them attached detail groups. Go to the other plan views and selectbtge model group. And turn on the attached detail group

My office has been doing this for a number of years and it works great
        Dwane

Comment

Thanks, all - great ideas! I will experiment with these
          starrdesigns

Comment