Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revit freezes upon synchronizing (but only 1x a day typically)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit freezes upon synchronizing (but only 1x a day typically)

Hi,

I never had this problem happen to me when I was working in 2010, but it happens to me in 2011.

Typical:
    After turning on my computer/monitors for the first time for the day and starting Revit, Revit will typically freeze when I synchronize or print (for printing, it will happen when I click the OK and not at the intial "Print" under the big R on the upper left hand corner.

When Revit freezes, my mouse stops moving and the only way to get out of it is to manually shut off my computer. Ctrl+alt+del doesn't do anything and my screen just freezes as is. After manually shutting down and rebooting, Revit typically won't freeze for the rest of the day.

It seems like a video card issue (updated drivers recently as well) but other (non-graphic intensive) software work fine. I have "Use Hardware Acceleration" checked and anti-aliasing is unchecked.

using 2 monitors
    nVidia Quadro FX 570
    intel core 2 duo e7400 @ 2.8 ghz
    3.25gb RAM
    177/232 GB free on HD

Any ideas as to the culprit?

Thanks all!

Originally posted by darryl View Post
    Hi,

I never had this problem happen to me when I was working in 2010, but it happens to me in 2011.

Typical:
    After turning on my computer/monitors for the first time for the day and starting Revit, Revit will typically freeze when I synchronize or print (for printing, it will happen when I click the OK and not at the intial "Print" under the big R on the upper left hand corner.

When Revit freezes, my mouse stops moving and the only way to get out of it is to manually shut off my computer. Ctrl+alt+del doesn't do anything and my screen just freezes as is. After manually shutting down and rebooting, Revit typically won't freeze for the rest of the day.

It seems like a video card issue (updated drivers recently as well) but other (non-graphic intensive) software work fine. I have "Use Hardware Acceleration" checked and anti-aliasing is unchecked.

using 2 monitors
    nVidia Quadro FX 570
    intel core 2 duo e7400 @ 2.8 ghz
    3.25gb RAM
    177/232 GB free on HD

Any ideas as to the culprit?

Thanks all!
    I don't know offhand what the minimum recommended RAM is for Revit 2011 but 3.25GB seems a bit low. I have Revit go into a stall mode every once in awhile with 12GB of RAM but it always pulls itself out and continues on after a few seconds.
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

What OS version are you running? Do you put your computer to sleep/hibernate?

How long have you let your computer sit after it freezes? Do you notice the Hard Drive light blinking a lot?

Try restarting your computer before opening Revit for the first time each day. Complete restart.
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Typically when I have a client that is having this issue I will start the resources monitor to see what is happening on that end of the spectrum as Revit just locking during memory intensive processes tends to be RAM related. Depending on your current OS you may be able to do the ever loved 3G switch, kind of a hokey fix. It attempts to reserve more RAM for programs running by taking it away from the OS, thus potentially making the OS unstable. Another item that can be done is to see what your current virtual memory is, if it is at the standard 2-4 gb then it should be increased to roughly double that, this can help stop the lock ups but is not a preferred solution.

The absolute best solution is to use a 64 bit OS with at least 6 gb of RAM on the system but I understand that W7 is not necessarily a solution as your company may have some bias or reason against upgrading PCs in the office to it.

Comment

Like Alex said. What is you OS.
          Revit 2011 does not like to perform on32 bit with minimal Ram.
          We had a few oldies floating around the office when we upgraded to Revit 2011 and we had similar freezing issues.
          All systems are know 64 bit with minimum 8gb Ram.
          Also as stated somewhere in another post, it is always good practise to fresh restart you system before a work day. revit tax alot and your system needs some recovery time. Imagine we had to do all revit ask of us without rest
          I would also go into freeze mode
          MW

Comment

I have had a ton of issues with my nVidia graphics card. Especially while running two monitors. In fact, I gave up my second monitor because it was too unmanageable. Before that maximizing Revit on only one screen sometimes helped to improve performance, and I also switched to an older driver. And on Alex's comment, it has helped me on occasion to shut the computer down completely and letting it sit for a few minutes.
            Sarah Foulkes

Not a Revit Robot

Comment

thanks for the help everyone!

this morning i did a restart after booting up my computer and the said problem has not occurred (yet...knock on wood). i've been religiously saving before synchronizing but no problems today yet.

again thanks for the help all

Comment

Glad it is sroted Darryl.
                Hope it stays this way.
                Revit freezing is just short of kicking a pc around at lunch time
                MW

Comment

darryl,
                  i had the same prob. i have the fx570 and i had to go back to an earlier driver. 6.14.11.9703. once i did that and set my virtual memory and tha 3 gig switch i have npt crashed or hung up. you can find the driver on nvidias website under their archive section realese 197.03. like i said it worked for me maybe it can help you aswell.

Comment