Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Elements from Linked Model

Hi All,

I never thought I'd get to this point with a visibility issue, but here we are!

This is the situation:

1. I am working in an architectural model
    2. MEP model is linked into this model
    3. MEP model has various linked models within it

If I click the 'Reveal Hidden Elements' light bulb, I can see the elements I need to show highlighted in pink, BUT i can't unhide them at all...

The elements seem to be a .dxf model that are in a model that is then linked into the MEP model that I have linked in (set to Attachment not Overlay).

The only way I can see these elements is with the 'light bulb' turned on, and there seems to be no way to unhide them (the right worksets are on, imported categories is on, all model elements are on...).

What am I missing?

Any bright ideas would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
    Attached Files

I would check 'Imported categories" visibility settings, in your RVT link custom visibility settings...

Comment

Hi, only 'Imports in Families' is listed, and they are all turned on...

Comment

I haven't played with attached models much, but check the workset the dfx is on. My guess is it has something to do with the view settings in the model that is linked in. For example, in the project I currently am working on I have an MEP model linked in (overlay) but when I look at it in hidden line a CAD plan within the model shows up. When I tab it its on a different workset, and I suspect that that workset might be set to be off in all views by default. If I needed to see it I'd start by opening a copy of their model to look at the view settings, and then might try adding that workset to my model and having it be on in the view I need to see the hidden item.
        Julie Kidder
        Architect + BIM Director
        Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

Originally posted by Grumple View Post
          Hi, only 'Imports in Families' is listed, and they are all turned on...
          You have to check it in Revit Links. I've "recreated" your situation and it did worked. The .dxf was unchecked at first.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi, thanks for the input, but it isn't that simple...

In the source MEP file, the dxf also appeared 'hidden' in views.

Using VG the dxf components were listed but turned off - turning them on made the components visible in the source file (for that view).

Back in the Architectural model, using VG the 'Imported Categories' list FOR THE LINKED MEP model doesn't include the same elements - only 'Imports in Families'

For now, I am able to set the VG for the linked model to 'By Linked View' and select the view I worked on in the MEP model - But it seems strange that the dxf within the MEP model isn't listed in the 'Imported Categories' list within VG.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Grumple; November 22, 2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

It might be late in the game for this tip......I usually work with my design engineers to create views within their models (I do the same for them) that have VG settings specific for "backgrounds". That then allows the entire team to use "by linked view", selecting the background views agreed upon. For example, I have a view setup so that landscape never see's interior plumbing fixtures (yes, a landscape department that leverages REVIT!)
              Brian Beck
              Project Coordinator - Stantec
              http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-beck/4b/57a/332

Comment

Might be a simple solution, have you checked your Detail Level? Is it set to Fine?
                -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Dive_Syko View Post
                  It might be late in the game for this tip......I usually work with my design engineers to create views within their models (I do the same for them) that have VG settings specific for "backgrounds". That then allows the entire team to use "by linked view", selecting the background views agreed upon. For example, I have a view setup so that landscape never see's interior plumbing fixtures (yes, a landscape department that leverages REVIT!)
                  Hm, it sounds like you work for one of those legitimate, decent companies that has their sh*t together that I can only dream of being a part of...

Great Idea! Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

Comment