Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a hatch in Cad and importing to Revit question

Hi everyone,
    I had come across an issue in one of our models where instead of using a hatch someone made a small group of detail lines to represent a mosaic tile pattern with the grout spacings for a detail. This group was then copied a lot of time to create this mosaic effect. After some inspection I found there was over 5,000 detail lines in this view!!!

I know it is possible to make hatch patterns in Autocad and import to Revit so I was wondering does anyone know where I could find a clear and easy to follow tutorial online to help me with this. Initially I just want to make this 20mm X 20mm with 5mm spacing (joint)and use this as a hatch.

Thank you

Hi joewallace, you can import from AutoCAD the hatch you need by opening a basic Revit hatch pattern and by modify it (see image), you need to find the .PAT file in the ACAD folder that contains the AutoCAD hatches and the by selecting it you will be able to : give a name ans a scale; sadly after doing this you cannot change the scale of the hatch pattern anymore but you will be able to re-import the hatch and give it a new scale and name if required.

Anyway if you need to create a personalized hatch pattern that doesn't exist in AutoCAD you can create your own hatch in autocad by using the express tools: Draw the form you need and then save it as a new hatch; then you need to save an empty draw which will only contains your personalized hatch pattern, import it in revit and then you must hit on partial explode tool in Revit to convert it to a Revit Hatch pattern which you can use in your project, hope this helps

Attached Files
    Andres Franco - Architect - BIM Coordinator
    Revit Certified Professional - AutoCAD Certified Professional
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horribly sanity"
    E.A Poe

Comment

Just in case you don't find the AutoCAD .pat file I'm attaching it in this post, regards acad.pat
      Andres Franco - Architect - BIM Coordinator
      Revit Certified Professional - AutoCAD Certified Professional
      "I became insane, with long intervals of horribly sanity"
      E.A Poe

Comment

Download pyRevit
        Pattern Maker for Revit
        I initially got pyRevit just to create patterns, but now the I've got it installed, I find many other tools in it super-useful.
        The Pattern Maker is pretty simple. Just draw the pattern you want, figure out how it repeats, and go!
        Last week I found the "Copy Legend from another project" tool, and today I'm using "Sync Views" - very production.
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
          Download pyRevit
          Pattern Maker for Revit
          I initially got pyRevit just to create patterns, but now the I've got it installed, I find many other tools in it super-useful.
          The Pattern Maker is pretty simple. Just draw the pattern you want, figure out how it repeats, and go!
          Last week I found the "Copy Legend from another project" tool, and today I'm using "Sync Views" - very production.
          How does pyRevit compare to Hatch22 or HatchKit?
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

For one, it's free.
            For two, it's simpler
            For three, see post #4 about all the other features
            Dave Plumb
            BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Hi everyone, thank you for all your comments. I will try out the above methods and report back.

Comment