Need help with families! Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with families! Please!

I'm just starting using Revit. I kinda know how to get myself around because I have previous experience with ArchiCAD, but following the guidelines of my university courses and the industry, I'm turning to Revit.

Thing is, I started playing around with the program, and it turns out to have a massive problem: it has no default families loaded! Therefore, I'm unable to use doors, windows, columns, etc. The software promts me to select the corresponding library from the files, but the families are nowhere to be found! I've searched thoroughly in my archives to see if I accidetally moved the file or something, but they appear to be just completely abscent. I don't know if this issue has to do with me having an educational licence or something, but currently I'm quite dissapointed by the fact that I'm 3 weeks into my courses and can't work at home, so I have to stay until late at uni... please help!

NOTE: Whenever I open the program, I get a dialog saying that the default template cannot be found, I don't know if my problem has something to do with it...
    Last edited by Yosele Beau Angulo Orozco; September 4, 2011, 05:06 AM.

I would think the educational version would have the templates and OOTB families installed. You should have a ton of doors, windows, walls, etc etc plus 4 default templates. I think you have a bad install.
    Dan

Comment

Check out THIS thread. There are some links in there that will get you to the Autodesk site so you can download families and stuff.
      Dan

Comment

I really apreciate you help! I have another little question, are the contents fully compatible with newer versions? I'm currently using revit 2012, and the content in the seek portal is for 2011... Thank you a lot.

Comment

Yes. You can open older versions of stuff. But you can't open a 2012 file (or family) in an older version, say 2011 or 2010. Revit is not backwards compatible.

When you open or insert the family, it will give you a message that it is converting it to the newer version.
          Dan

Comment