Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Units Issue

Hi all,

Have a bit of a weird one. I'm a pretty experience Revit user, been using it almost exclusively for about 10 years, and today came across an issue that I wasn't able to sort out.

A colleague showed me a model where, when we took a spot coordinate, the distance between two objects was measuring off at only 30mm east when they are quite obviously 3 meters + apart. To compound things further, when I looked at how the coordinates had been setup, the elevation, northings and eastings were all showing in mm but were 3 decimal places shorter. IE the building sits 56m in the 'air' however it was reading 56mm. It overlays fine with other disciplines when using origin to origin.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? I have this feeling it's something pretty simple but it's got me stumped! :banghead:

Thanks for your time,

Rob
    Last edited by nicebikemate; October 16, 2017, 08:09 PM.

Somebody messed with the units in the tags maybe?
    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

That was my first guess as well but i've checked those, and it's not just the tag's it's affecting - when you look at the project and survey points they're showing up in mm at an incredibly small scale.

I tried adjusting the PBP and SP to the correct scales, ie multiplying them by a thousand, but then the coordinate tags were showing as being even closer together lol. Something is really loopy.

Comment

Well, I'm out of ideas.
        You can't share the project by any change I suppose?
        Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
        Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

Not at the moment unfortunately. Was only made aware of the issue 30 mins before I left work so i'll have another crack in the morning and see where I get. Thanks for taking the time to lend some brain power though

Comment

Couple of pics to highlight my issue. First shows that the piles are 3688 apart whilest the coordinate shows them as only being .03m apart, t he second shows the settings for the tag

Cheers

Rob

Attached Files

Comment

Hi nicebikemate, welcome to the forum.

Try changing the units format of your spot coordinate tag to "by project"; is there any change in the values ? What are the project units anyway ?

I've taken your coordinates and redrawn the two piles in AutoCAD with units of MILLIMETRES [see image below].

The first thing I learned was that north is at 45-degrees to your grid and your view. So, as per your view/grids, if y=0 then x should be 4.260 mm, not anything with a value of 3688. The 4.260 dim is in MILLIMETRES, which can't be right, and assuming that everything is out by x1000, then it would still be 4.24 metres, again, NOT 3.688.

Northing_Easting.jpg

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but my guess is that the setting-out of the original coordinates may be royally scr*wed up: along with the x1000 issue [and/or project units], the angle of north may be messed up too.

IMHO the best way to sort this out, especially if you are time-challenged, would be to make a new project file [a master coordinate file or MLG {Master Levels & Grids}] in the right project units, with the right north, etc., and set out the coordinates as they SHOULD be and then link that system into your model using shared coordinates, Then you can share that with the other disciplines too and they can link in using the same shared coordinates to get the correct N/E coordinates.

OR, contact the original author, find out their workflow and error-check it.

Good luck !
              Last edited by kamranmirza; October 17, 2017, 06:49 PM.
              Kamran Mirza
              Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

Comment