Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Fixture (Not Column) - located to grid for scheduling and tagging

Dear Forum

I have noticed that with structural columns you can place them on grids and get a 'Column Location Mark' feedback which you can then schedule and tag. Can this be done for any family object? I would like to achieve this with a light fixture so I can set out a number on grid and be able to schedule their grid coordinate and also tag this to each light.

Is this possible?

Many thanks for your help!

Regards
    Tim

I suppose you COULD begin with a Column Family, nest a light fixture family into it, set up a visibility parameter for the columns and turn it off, and have the light fixture follow/stay attached to Grids? But then if you are doing quantity take-offs/schedules for Columns, you would have to Filter out the "fake" columns which are turned off......... a bit tricky.

I don't think you can do it with only a light fixture family?
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Hi Cliff

Many thanks for your reply. This is an interesting idea and I will give it a try to see if it becomes tricky or not.

Thanks again.
      Tim

Comment

Hi Cliff

This idea of yours seems to be working well. As you cannot delete the column I have made it very small and constrained it as part of the fixture design. I am only doing a schedule of light types with a few other shared parameters so this approach works great in this instance.

Many thanks again

Best Regards
        Tim
        Architect
        London

Comment

Glad it works.

Using Revit sometimes unfortunately requires lots of "workarounds" depending on what you need to accomplish.

Did you explore using Filters to filter out the "fake columns" ?
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

I havent needed to, which is great. I incorporated the column into the fixture so you dont see it. So I have been able to schedule and tag each globe light (column) with grid reference. The design is for a ceiling of suspended globe lights each suspended at random drops from the ceiling, also with random colours. I found a great plugin called Randomise by Dumitru: http://dimak1999.blogspot.com/2011/0...for-revit.html
            So far I have this outcome (see pic attached) with all lights tagged with drop height and grid location for installation purposes.

Many thanks again
            Regards
            Tim
            Attached Files

Comment