Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof with breaks

Hello all,

Any idea how I can create this roof (see attachment)?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

Two roofs, both with varying thickness. Placed with their bottoms at different elevations, and shape editing to create the top slope and variable thickness.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

One shape-edited roof with a void underneath.
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

And then end up with a billion voids underneath when that happens in a bunch of places around the job? Have fun with that.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Okay then... in-place family! ;_)
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            And then end up with a billion voids underneath when that happens in a bunch of places around the job? Have fun with that.
            I'm kidding with the in-place comment, of course.

Honest question, why is having the voids bad? If it's in terms of the number of things to manage, you have just as many (more if you manage the voids with more curves in fewer families) elements to edit with the multiple roof approach as you do with the single roof and void approach. Yes? I know voids are supposed to slow things down (at least in the family editor) but I've not used them enough in project to know if that carries over, or if it does to what level.
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

I dont have any issues with number of voids in the project. Its the fact that- im betting because of what is required structurally- there is a specific change from one thickness roof to another. If you hack it up / carve it out with voids, its going to all be "12 inch thick variable low slope roof," and then someone will select it and it wont be.

Or... They can have multiple roofs. So, you are correct" More than one element either way. Might as well make it so someone doesnt have to select more phantom objects to reverse engineer what the heck the thing is.

I wouldnt slay dragons over it, either way will work. I just certainly wouldnt say "one roof with voids" was a "more awesomer" solution.

Comment

Me neither! I was trying to show there's more than one way to tackle most of these issues.
                Greg McDowell Jr
                about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Use The Roof by Extrusion function.

Comment

I face some difficulties with the void, because I can not place it in the section view (in which I can manage better the shape of the roof's profile).

Any comment will be useful.

Thank you in advance!

Comment