Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighting - Photometric Colour Filer as Instance Parameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting - Photometric Colour Filer as Instance Parameter?

Dear Forum

I have a large number of pendant lights that I would like each to be a different colour light output, but each of the same type. Can you modify the light source to change the colour filter to an instance parameter? Currently it is greyed out in the photometrics section of the family types so I cannot modify it at all.

Many thanks!

By the way I am using 2011.

Tim

In the real world would they be the same bulb, with different reflectors/lenses? If so, introduce an instance material parameter to the light fitting's lens, then it'll colour the light accordingly.

Comment

Hi snowyweston, thank you for your reply. In reality they are going to be pendant sphere colour changing RGB fixtures, where I want to produce a single render with each selected to a different colour. So you are saying use a white light source the same for each and then apply a material with an instance parameter for the colour? But would I then need to make a large number of materials to represent the various colours I need?

Many thanks, Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tjgreatrex View Post
        So you are saying use a white light source the same for each and then apply a material with an instance parameter for the colour?
        That's how I'd have done it based on your OP, but...

But would I then need to make a large number of materials to represent the various colours I need?
        Yes, yes you would, but then how many rendered "option" images are you planning to do? And how many variants on the colour? Once you've made one, duplicate>rename>colour swatch>done, won't take you too long.

If you're going to do render the same scene, with different colours (ie. all red, all blue, etc) you could still use the material setting of the light fitting (be it instance or type) then create a singular "LAMP COLOUR" material definition which you adjust between each render...

It's much of a muchness either way.

There could be other tricks - like rendering in greyscale (desaturate the output) and colour the outputs in something like Photoshop - but I have (an unsubstantiated) lack of faith in the power of colour replacement of renders in post-production.

Comment

I only require the one image proposal, so I am happy to create a number of materials and, as you say, rename and adjust the colour and assign them.

I also have little faith in colour replacement in post-production. I much prefer to have everything as I want in all in Revit.

Thanks again.
          Tim

Comment

Lastly, thank you again snowyweston as this also lets me know the colour of the individual light now when I view the model in shaded view!

Excellent. Cheers, Tim.

Comment

Excellent. Cheers, Tim.
              Glad to help - just don't forget to post the outcome - I'm quite intrigued!

Comment

Have you seen the Snog frozen yoghurt stores in London? These were the first of the store roll out, all done in a tiresome combination Rhino, AutoCAD and Cinema 4D. I am bringing it all into Revit.
                I have hopefully attached an initial image of the colour globe ceiling for this new store. The rendering of all the lights is taking a while, so I need to get onto 2012 and onto Project Neon!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Munkholm; September 5, 2011, 08:15 AM. Reason: Fixed Image

Comment

Have you seen the Snog frozen yoghurt stores in London?
                  Funnily enough I was in the Covent Garden one last week admiring the ceiling - I think something like that would work really well in one of our Snoezelens.

The waiting looks like it'll be worth it - but the bulb(s) look a bit "flat" - maybe there'd be some benefit in experimenting with the material settings to make them a little less monotone...

It'll also be worth hunting out a recent post (I think by jsnyder, but I might be wrong) that covered the time-scale differences of each rendering setting - so your test runs are quicker.

Comment