Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Large Campus Projects

Looking for some advice on a large project,

The project is actually a hotel with all the guestrooms and amenity buildings spread out over all the site as different buildings (Total of 120 buildings). I'm curious what else others might have to offer from their experience on similar projects.

Issues:
    1. I don't think we'll want all the sheets to come out of the models as sheet management would be difficult and assembling the construction packages would then be very tedious. We could link them into another file to produce sheets (Annotation file)?
    2. There are obviously redundancies in the guestroom types and all the housekeeping buildings, but we'll only want to model it once. How would you guys handle the site plan - place different instances of the model in a linked model? Groups and all in one model?

There are a lot of variables for a project like this but I'm trying not to be too wordy, I can provide more information if needed. I'm struggling to wrap my head around the whole thing:banghead:. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Groups and as much in one model as your computers can handle... which should be quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Lots of different floor levels, definitely links

Get very used to Links & View by Linked Views
      Dwane

Comment

I'm going to be perfectly honest:

NONE of us here have anywhere NEAR enough information to even give you basic or general guidance.

1. Sheet Files (that have nothing but sheets and annotations) absolutely suck. Completely and totally. I would (literally) quit before i would deal with that.

2. None of us can appropriately answer, until weve seen SOME part of the design. 120 buildings, you say? Is that 60 buildings that are identical, and 60 that are different but identical to each other? Or are there SOME variations in all 120? And when we say "identical," i mean *in every aspect,* not "well, mostly..."

"Some similarities" between the room typologies and outbuildings is VERY different than "30 of the same building just at different elevations."

My INCLINATION is that there will obviously be a site model, and several building models. But how many building models, remains to be seen, based on the design itself. If it were my project, there would also be Group files, for the units. It WONT be "100% automated," in that when you have to update a group, there WILL be some manual work in the building files.

If you try to sneak around that with Links for units, you are going to end up really hating life. My advice would be spend a LOT of time planning, with people or someone who has done a LOT of that before. Lots of ways for that one to go wrong (or right).
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Advice Large Campus Projects

Never mind. Apparently, I can't read today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Last edited by GMcDowellJr; September 8, 2017, 01:56 AM.
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Like Aaron said, what are the variations of the 120 buildings? When I worked at the El Conquistador in Tucson, AZ, all the "Casitas" were pretty much the same units only some were flipped or some were full suites. I'd say there were probably 4 different building types that made up the 50 casita buildings. Now I wouldn't model all 50 units, just the building types and then use the Site Plan like Aaron said to place those buildings in their respective places for site layout, but plans are only in those 4 types. Any other buildings, such as pool rooms should also be a separate model. You can keep track of all the sheets for each building in the site model for drawing indexes.

We are in the digital age btw...there is no reason to cram as much as you can on one sheet of paper like back in the hand drafting days. Keep it simple...one building, one set of plans for that building. Merge them all into one project as volumes or sheet sets.

BTW, if anyone has been at the El Coquistador, I would treat all the buildings the same way, as each of the 4 are the same, just located at different elevations and positions. 1 building, 1 set of plans, 4 located at different places on site.
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

I have done a project which was 90 residential lots, but was only about 6 or so different building types.
              Some of these building types would be "mirrored" on the lot placement.

I handled it in the same way mentioned by MPwuzhere above
              However it was a structural project, and much less need to compartmentalise/group interiors etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                1. Sheet Files (that have nothing but sheets and annotations) absolutely suck. Completely and totally.
                You know, they really don't. I'm never not using them again.

Comment

Knock yourself out. Opinions vary. I would never use them, ever.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
                  Director
                  Parallax Team, Inc.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I appreciate the honesty and I don't mind getting into more detail - just didn't want to ramble on if it wasn't necessary. The project is complex so I was aiming to keep the description simple. As a lot of projects go, we are setting up/getting started while things are still being figured out. Here is the additional info I have at this time.

Guestrooms (120 buildings): The guestrooms are their own stand alone buildings. Made up of mostly 2 main types. 80 of a standard and 30 of another. Of the 2 main types, we'll have variations for an ADA, one with a porch, and I'm anticipating some mirrored version of each as well. The rest (10) are one offs.

The amenity buildings aren't much simpler either, probably another 35 total: Made up of mostly 4 types (6 each) and the rest (11) are one offs.

All of the buildings are one story. The issue with doing 1 building = 1 set of plans is how many drawings sets we'll end up with(30ish). It would be nice to combine but yes then we're back the sheet/annotation file. I was debating whether it was necessary to place all the models in the site model, just not sure how well revit can handle that.

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    If it were my project, there would also be Group files, for the units. It WONT be "100% automated," in that when you have to update a group, there WILL be some manual work in the building files.
                    Could you elaborate on this a little more? What do you mean by group file? How would a group not be 100% automated?

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                    You can keep track of all the sheets for each building in the site model for drawing indexes.
                    How do you keep track of the of the drawing indexes from another model?

Comment