Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing dimension lines like we did in CAD (not the number)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing dimension lines like we did in CAD (not the number)

Hi all,
    Is there a way to edit the appearance dimensions like we used to in CAD? NOT THE NUMBER! (never!)

Specifically, I want a dim that has one side dimming to the object, and the other side showing as an arrow or even nothing. In CAD, there were the options of "Ext Line 1" and "Ext Line 2" that you could toggle on/off. There isn't anything like that in Revit is there? Because all dims should be actual dims that can't be fudged or altered to "fake" a dimension, right?

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
    Hi all,
    Is there a way to edit the appearance dimensions like we used to in CAD? NOT THE NUMBER! (never!)

Specifically, I want a dim that has one side dimming to the object, and the other side showing as an arrow or even nothing. In CAD, there were the options of "Ext Line 1" and "Ext Line 2" that you could toggle on/off. There isn't anything like that in Revit is there? Because all dims should be actual dims that can't be fudged or altered to "fake" a dimension, right?
    something like this? Not done like in Acad and I don't use this for anything but dimensions in detail views that are not live, but it's possible in Revit
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
      something like this? Not done like in Acad and I don't use this for anything but dimensions in detail views that are not live, but it's possible in Revit
      Yes! Very much like that It's just in a drafting view, so I'm not violating the prime drafting directive -- "NEVER fudge a dimension" lol

How?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
        "NEVER fudge a dimension"
        I love you Man!

give me a minute to put together some screen shots

Make a new dim style for this dimension type

the dim properties

how to do it

hth! they are real dimensions but in detail views I normally override the dims with text of some sort
        Last edited by Dave Jones; September 1, 2017, 09:34 PM.
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

If you want to violate the prime directive, here's this family, something we created on Augi awhile ago before we could override.. Works good for drafting views. You could create toggles for ends.
          Attached Files
          Fred Blome
          Residential Architect

Comment

I like when I find line based detail components in models called things like "dimension override" or "dimension blank" or "fake dimension."

Let's me know who I should recommend gets fired.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
            Director
            Parallax Team, Inc.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              I like when I find line based detail components in models called things like "dimension override" or "dimension blank" or "fake dimension."

Let's me know who I should recommend gets fired.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
              Director
              Parallax Team, Inc.
              Right up there with families called "Dumb Tag" or "Dumb Reference"...
              Just dont do it!
              Andrew Harp
              BIM Manager GHD
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
              If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment