X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging two Revit models

Hello all!

I am in a bit of a situation...

I work at a firm (just started, today is day three) where we were the local architects on a project and both our firm and the national firm built models of the project in revit. We have some sheets and views that they don't have and vice versa and parts of our models are more complete than parts of theirs where as other parts of theirs are more detailed than ours. Essentially I need one complete model with schedules, sheets details and a complete model but cannot figure out how to do this. :banghead:

I have been reading about linking and binding models and I know how to import sheets but I'm not sure what is the best practice. we both have a complete outer shell of the building and interior walls for the most part but their door schedule is more up-to date and a few things like that including one part of the model that we just don't have. I have only been able to find information for adding mep to an arch model not for merging two arch models into one. Please help! I have never done anything like this before!

Thank you in advance!

-kl

Here is the short version:

You are going to have a very lousy time.

Long version:

1. Only sheets you can *import* wholesale are completely drafted sheets, so you are pretty hosed on the modeled sheets.
    2. Linking and binding only brings in MOdeled elements, and annotations (and only annotations as detail groups, it wont actually bring the views over).
    3. Linking and Binding also makes a mess, with duplicates and items that are different.

My advice? Even though you think it will take longer: Decide which model is MORE up to date, and start going through the drawings sets highlighting what is lacking in that model and set of drawings. Then manually make the changes, then abandon the other model.

Unfortunately, this is a conversation you should have had with the other firm at the beginning of the job. "Merging" models isnt as simple as some people would have you believe.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Cant I print the modeled pages as pdf's or images and then place them onto a drawing sheet? I believe i have done something like that in the past when I was in school? that may make me less "hosed" regarding the modeled sheets?

Comment

If you really consider that a viable solution, i guess you can export images and pull them in. Thats going to last for about a minute, in my opinion. How are you going to deal with changes going forward? Or revisions? Or the fact that the image quality will be absolutely garbage?

Youre going to burn more time than you think.

Itll be faster/easier/better to just do the hard work and migrate the changes over manually.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

There are no future changes. The project is complete, construction is finished and the drawing sets were actually done in AutoCAD. They just want to have this as an additional deliverable. The national firm is just paying us to put everything into one revit file.

Comment

I think you better define what "put everything into one revit file" means. IE do they want a working model going forward for the owner, if so putting images of the sheets in won't fly.
            Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

That sounds like they're trying to set you up to fail
              ​My ID was stolen. Now I'm only called Dav

Comment

Originally posted by katielynnlester View Post
                There are no future changes. The project is complete, construction is finished and the drawing sets were actually done in AutoCAD. They just want to have this as an additional deliverable. The national firm is just paying us to put everything into one revit file.
                Well, i would have put an awfully large price tag on it, because its not simple.

If i was an owner, and i was expecting a revit deliverable, and there were IMAGES on the sheets? id never do work with those architects again. EVER.

Comment

We can't put pictures on sheets now? There go my mood boards...

Comment

I started a job 4 months ago and our firm became the architect of record for a project that the previous firm got fired from. The previous firm's model is HORRIFIC!
                    On top of that it had consultants' models linked in that were not even linked in at the correct coordinates!
                    Our solution after much hand wringing was to identify what in the current model was worth keeping, then documenting what was missing...then basically starting from a point to create all of the necessary views and sheets that did not heave the relevant info.
                    I honestly have to say the previous firm had to have "made some special arrangements" to have gotten the project approved by the governing agency...it is a truly scary set of documents! It has taken us 10 weeks to flesh out all of the problems....and every now and then we "turn over a rock" only to find hidden krap there as well.
                    Sometimes backtracking to a known point and making your own work product is better than relying on somebody else's. I know this doesn't help but you are not alone in this kind of experience. Just trudge (First Knight reference) onward and know you will eventually get to the end of the long and winding trail.

Comment