Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I tell if a Revit file is corrupt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I tell if a Revit file is corrupt?

To provide some background for my question. I work at a company that manages documents for over 10 major firms. We are building a cleaning process that helps to clean, purge and speed up model generation times. Often we cannot tell if a Revit file is corrupt until we have wasted a couple hours for a small (3mb) file to open, only to have the typical "A fatal error has occurred" blah blah blah

I have read multiple posts about what steps or methods to take when confronted with correcting a corrupt Revit file. (open file while checking Audit etc.)

I have not seen any posts on How one can tell if a Revit file is corrupt, other than getting a Error or Warning from Revit?

Is it possible to tell if a Revit file is corrupt without opening the file?

Is it possible to tell if a Revit file is corrupt by looking at the Journal Logs or Temp files?

I look forward to the communities thoughts!!!

Interesting. Well, here are a few thoughts:

1. Define what you mean by *corrupt* please.

2. "A fatal error has occurred" does not mean a model is corrupt. It means something has gone wrong, that is making the program close. COULD be a corrupt model, COULD also be something in the model that causes issues with your graphics driver. COULD also JUST be your graphics driver, or insufficient graphics power. Could be data transmission failure if trying to access a model across a WAN or a flakey internet connection, or over VPN or Wireless, or any number of other things.

3. A couple of hours? To open an 3MB file? Im strangely curious what files and how you are opening them, as a 1GB file doesnt even take hours to open. Are you- by chance- opening these files from very very far away, perhaps over a WAN, or over a VPN tunnel? (see the list of COULDS at the end of question 1)

4. Which posts have you read, about steps to take? Did you also file a support request on a corrupt file, to get Autodesks take on it?
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

1. This is a term revit uses when files or elements in files cannot open, or have data packets that are incomplete thus corrupted? (sorry I am no expert)

2. Thanks for the input! my team is going to review the upload and download networks to review any flaws that we may find

3. Yes in this specific case it took a couple of hours to open a 3mb file. We have files over 1gb and they open within a couple of minutes so my machine and where the files live is not my issue

4. I haven't found any posts that describe an "up-front" method of determining whether a file is corrupt or not, I have however read a lot of posts that describe how to proceed once you discover a file is corrupted - to answer the Autodesk piece that you mentioned above - yes I sent my journal logs to them and they told me that such and such file is corrupted, and i could verify this, by reviewing my journal logs

To review, all that I would like to know is whether or not a user can figure out "up-front" if a file is corrupted without opening the file? Is this even possible?

Thanks for your assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by askuna86 View Post
        To review, all that I would like to know is whether or not a user can figure out "up-front" if a file is corrupted without opening the file? Is this even possible?
        Uh...no. Going to have to open it. You can use an add-in though that will look into the model's health.
        Revit Add-Ons: Model Health Checker

There is also Model Review which is on the subscription side of add-ins.

I know we have something similar to the model health checker in the works...but it's proprietary.
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Thanks for all of your help folks, I have a website included in this thread that i found that can be used in R2017 for Model Health review. The thread is in a Dynamo thread but is absolutely fantastic and will help guide users in generating various reports without paying money.

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/revit-...th-check/13546

Note: as of this date, and stated in the threads above, there is not a free method that i know of that can figure out "up front" if a Revit file is corrupt

Comment

Really interesting discussion guys. I'm auditing my model here but none of the suggested tools seems to find check families for cad files?

Our interior guys likes importing dwg into the families for all the wrong reasons. How can I find these?

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Brown View Post
              Really interesting discussion guys. I'm auditing my model here but none of the suggested tools seems to find check families for cad files?

Our interior guys likes importing dwg into the families for all the wrong reasons. How can I find these?
              We have a Dynamo graphs that checks for imported DWG in families, but it doesn't check nested families... So it's not 100% perfect. But it does find the majority of them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

My office have used a plug-in called 'Cad file Explorer' to good success with finding dwg files in families and nested families.

Did try Dynamo as well but as Aaron said, it's hard to address nested families. Another challenge is when Dynamo gets to a corrupt family and can't carry on! Seems like one of those things only external add-ins can handle as they don't rely on the Idling event of the active Revit file.

Comment

Thanks mate. Looks promising. I'll give it a try :beer:

Comment

Originally posted by AlanSmith View Post
                    My office have used a plug-in called 'Cad file Explorer' to good success with finding dwg files in families and nested families.
                    Very interesting, thanks for mentioning it - looks good for $55/year or $6/month for an individual subscription.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Pw_ZNLZrU

(Happy little backing tune to the video - very jolly )
                    Last edited by willsud; May 26, 2020, 09:07 AM.
                    William Sutherland rias riba
                    WS Architecture Ltd

Comment