Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Familiy templates

Hello Reviter,

Can I change familytemplates and save as templates?

There is no option like in a projectfile.

Is there a way?

KR

Andreas

Start a new family from an ootb template (generic model is a good one), clean it up and make whatever changes you'd like to have in your new template, refplanes, subcategories etc then save it as a regular family file. Go to your saved family in windows explorer and change the extension to .rft - ignore the warning and you now have your own family template.

Ps, if you want to make changes layer just change the file extension back to .rfa, make changes, change back to rft.
    Last edited by elton williams; August 15, 2017, 09:39 AM.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

If you want to modify the family's base constraints, it gets trickier (but possible). I have found only native / first-gen .RFTs can have their base constraints edited. Once the .RFT has been opened and saved (like during an upgrade), it is no longer first-gen and you are unable to edit the base constraints, regardless of the rename trick.

Copy the .RFT (for backup), rename the copy to .RFA, make changes, and save. Rename the file to .RFT and you have a new template. When you upgrade, you must rename the .RFT to .RFA before upgrading, or all the reference planes and constraints become "locked" in your template, even if you rename this saved file. You can upgrade and save an .RFA any number of times, but the first time you save an .RFT from Revit, it is locked.
      Chris Ellersick

Comment

Originally posted by cellersick View Post
        If you want to modify the family's base constraints, it gets trickier (but possible). I have found only native / first-gen .RFTs can have their base constraints edited. Once the .RFT has been opened and saved (like during an upgrade), it is no longer first-gen and you are unable to edit the base constraints, regardless of the rename trick.

Copy the .RFT (for backup), rename the copy to .RFA, make changes, and save. Rename the file to .RFT and you have a new template. When you upgrade, you must rename the .RFT to .RFA before upgrading, or all the reference planes and constraints become "locked" in your template, even if you rename this saved file. You can upgrade and save an .RFA any number of times, but the first time you save an .RFT from Revit, it is locked.
        Hi Chris, I'm curious, can you give me an example of why one would want to change the base constraints in a family template? I had never even contemplated such an action...
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
          Hi Chris, I'm curious, can you give me an example of why one would want to change the base constraints in a family template?
          Had to check my math.... on Revit 2017 I can no longer rename OOTB .RFTs and edit them. I can rename and edit any of my custom .RFTs, but not the OOTB ones. If my custom .RFTs are upgraded, I will no longer be able to rename and edit them. I suppose at one time I had used the rename trick to get a head start on a custom .RFT, but you could accomplish the same thing with a blank GM family.

In my case, I wanted to modify custom casework template to use consistent nomenclature and reference planes. That's when I found my upgraded .RFTs couldn't be edited.
          Chris Ellersick

Comment

Originally posted by cellersick View Post
            Had to check my math.... on Revit 2017 I can no longer rename OOTB .RFTs and edit them. I can rename and edit any of my custom .RFTs, but not the OOTB ones. If my custom .RFTs are upgraded, I will no longer be able to rename and edit them. I suppose at one time I had used the rename trick to get a head start on a custom .RFT, but you could accomplish the same thing with a blank GM family.

In my case, I wanted to modify custom casework template to use consistent nomenclature and reference planes. That's when I found my upgraded .RFTs couldn't be edited.
            for the record, no problem doing the save as .rfa and rename to .rft in R2017 here with OOTB family templates. Since I only use 3 or 4 custom family templates I never upgrade them I just create them new every upgrade.
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

I found that stuff (reference planes, parameters, dimensions, subcats, elements, etc) I put into an RFT file cannot be removed from it when you are later creating an RFA from it. Consequently I do not use RFTs but have a suite of what I call StartPoint RFA files. They sit in a ReadOnly folder: I open them; Save As a new family; and away I go.

However, more often these days I just go to a recently edited family of the target category in the library; so a Save As and edit.
              Last edited by anthonyB; August 16, 2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment