Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimensions for defining the structure but not necessary on plan drawings?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dimensions for defining the structure but not necessary on plan drawings?

    Hi all,

    I have made the plan layouts of my structure with all gridlines and all necessary or relevant dimensions for local authority permits. However I have worked with a lot of temporary dimensions (made permanent to lock the structure/ walls etc internally) but these are not necessary for the submitted plans but I will need all these for the working drawings. Is there any way that I can have two sets of dimensions if you will, one that will print and one that won't (but not temporary dimensions) so I can show only what I need without having to save two separate projects with separate dimensions? I don't really want to delete all those dimensions and create two projects. I know this isn't AutoCAD but that was a bonus of the layers that worked well for me being able to turn on/ off layers.

    #2
    Originally posted by jdmorrisn View Post
    Hi all,

    I have made the plan layouts of my structure with all gridlines and all necessary or relevant dimensions for local authority permits. However I have worked with a lot of temporary dimensions (made permanent to lock the structure/ walls etc internally) but these are not necessary for the submitted plans but I will need all these for the working drawings. Is there any way that I can have two sets of dimensions if you will, one that will print and one that won't (but not temporary dimensions) so I can show only what I need without having to save two separate projects with separate dimensions? I don't really want to delete all those dimensions and create two projects. I know this isn't AutoCAD but that was a bonus of the layers that worked well for me being able to turn on/ off layers.
    check out working views, filters, and view templates. All that you want to do is easy once you get it setup. I have two copies of most views, one working and one for documentation. Each of those views has its own view template with what I want turn on turned on and what I want turned of turned off. Filters can help with objects that are of a sub category where you don't want to turn all, say Generic Models off, just those objects on certain GM subcategories. Filters are also good for dimensions that need to be on in documentation views, but not in working views, and visa versa. Make two dimension styles one for each view type and filter them off where you don't want them. Etc etc etc...
    Last edited by Dave Jones; August 10, 2017, 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jdmorrisn View Post
      However I have worked with a lot of temporary dimensions (made permanent to lock the structure/ walls etc internally) but these are not necessary for the submitted plans but I will need all these for the working drawings.
      Slightly off-topic: It isn't the best idea to lock (constrain) your model too much. It is really easy to over-constrain it and you will end up moving half of your building without meaning too. If by lock you just mean the dimensions exist then it isn't bad, just something to keep note of.
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


      chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
        check out working views, filters, and view templates. All that you want to do is easy once you get it setup. I have two copies of most views, one working and one for documentation. Each of those views has its own view template with what I want turn on turned on and what I want turned of turned off. Filters can help with objects that are of a sub category where you don't want to turn all, say Generic Models off, just those objects on certain GM subcategories. Filters are also good for dimensions that need to be on in documentation views, but not in working views, and visa versa. Make two dimension styles one for each view type and filter them off where you don't want them. Etc etc etc...
        Thanks, I guess doubling the views is the best way to go since I already have separate dimension styles, I'll give it a shot.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by cellophane View Post
          Slightly off-topic: It isn't the best idea to lock (constrain) your model too much. It is really easy to over-constrain it and you will end up moving half of your building without meaning too. If by lock you just mean the dimensions exist then it isn't bad, just something to keep note of.
          Thanks for this - I work with a lot of renovations/ extensions so the existing structure once drawn in I need to lock with dimensions/ pin otherwise I find 10 hours of new drawing later that nothing of the existing is how I originally drew it. So to avoid every time having to check every little detail of the existing structure once I draw in a new part, I can continue with confidence knowing nothing is moving or at least receive some warnings so it works for me that way.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jdmorrisn View Post
            Thanks, I guess doubling the views is the best way to go since I already have separate dimension styles, I'll give it a shot.
            and, once you get one working and documentation view the way you want it to look using V/G then use View Templates/Create Template from Current View and you have your VT. Then in the Project Browser select all of your working or documentation views, right click and select Apply View Template and pick your new template that you made for that type of view. All done. Another quick tip. If you are in a view with a VT applied and need to turn on or off the visibility of some objects don't remove the VT use the Temporary View Properties button on the lower left of the Revit taskbar. Make what ever view changes you want then when you are done hit the TVP button again and you're instantly back to where you started with all of your VT properties intact. Slick tool? HTH
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
              Make two dimension styles one for each view type and filter them off where you don't want them
              What are you after here Dave? Dimensions are view specific. If you don't want them, don't place them?
              Greg McDowell Jr
              about.me/GMcDowellJr

              Comment


                #8
                Sometimes I need some dimensions for reference but don't want to see them all of the time so I filter them on/off. Sometimes I copy/paste a bunch of dimensions from one view to another but don't need certain ones in the new placement. Not an oft used situation for sure but for me useful at times


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                Comment

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X