Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lock the Central Model

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lock the Central Model

    Hello all,

    Do you know if is it possible to lock the central model? I don't want each person to have access on the central model, In case that someone forget to detach/create local copy.

    Is there any way to give access rights only in some person?

    Thank you in advance!
    Regards,
    Maria

    #2
    Collaboration for Revit service can provide this, since it's account based, but it may not be the solution you were hoping for as its costly and not the best setup for inner office performance. Not sure how you would do the same for a CM on a network location.

    Best thing to do, really, is just train your Revit users correctly from the get go. Tinkering with a CM should be held as a serious thing and it needs to be expressed firmly. I believe there's also the "Revit Viewer" icons installed where it opens in a non-editable mode rather than full program access.

    -TZ
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

    Comment


      #3
      You can have IT lock down the file itself...or assign specific teams (security groups) to the project folders via active directory permissions.
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
        You can have IT lock down the file itself...or assign specific teams (security groups) to the project folders via active directory permissions.
        But users still need to go to Open File and point to the central model in order for Revit to open it and create a local copy. If it's locked down in AD I'm not sure if Revit on workstations would be able to open the file and create the local copy.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
          You can have IT lock down the file itself...or assign specific teams (security groups) to the project folders via active directory permissions.
          Originally posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
          But users still need to go to Open File and point to the central model in order for Revit to open it and create a local copy. If it's locked down in AD I'm not sure if Revit on workstations would be able to open the file and create the local copy.
          Can they sync to it if it's locked down by IT?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MARIA1993 View Post
            Hello all,

            Do you know if is it possible to lock the central model? I don't want each person to have access on the central model, In case that someone forget to detach/create local copy.

            Is there any way to give access rights only in some person?

            Thank you in advance!
            Regards,
            Maria
            Revit Server works nicely in that there is no way an end user can mistakenly open the central model as it forces a new local copy to be created or the option of a detached model.
            Bettisworth North

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Charles Karl View Post
              Revit Server works nicely in that there is no way an end user can mistakenly open the central model as it forces a new local copy to be created or the option of a detached model.
              How is Revit Server different than simply accessing a Central model on a file server in an Active Directory (domain) environment? When I go to Open File and point to the Central model for a project, it shows a check box for Make Local File, which is always checked by default. But it's possible to uncheck it and open the central file directly. Also it's possible to go to the file in Windows Explorer and double-click to open, which I stress to users to NEVER do that.

              Does Revit Server work differently? Is it suitable for intra-office worksharing (users in same office working on same model)?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by CADiva View Post
                Can they sync to it if it's locked down by IT?
                Only if they have permission to do so. By assigning it at the folder level only those with permission can see the folder contents.

                I worked at a place where you had to be a member of a specific security group to gain access to some projects. It controls people from being in a model when they are not supposed to be. If they are allowed, it comes back to proper education or use the Revit Viewer.
                Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
                  How is Revit Server different than simply accessing a Central model on a file server in an Active Directory (domain) environment? When I go to Open File and point to the Central model for a project, it shows a check box for Make Local File, which is always checked by default. But it's possible to uncheck it and open the central file directly. Also it's possible to go to the file in Windows Explorer and double-click to open, which I stress to users to NEVER do that.

                  Does Revit Server work differently? Is it suitable for intra-office worksharing (users in same office working on same model)?
                  You can't open it directly from Explorer...it has to be done from within Revit. ALL of our projects are on Revit Servers. I am working on a project in Alaska later today and one in Washington right now. It's the people that open a file from explorer thinking it works like Autocad that screws it up.
                  Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Charles Karl View Post
                    Revit Server works nicely in that there is no way an end user can mistakenly open the central model as it forces a new local copy to be created or the option of a detached model.
                    Why oh why is that not the process for "regular" Revit?
                    I posted a Revit Idea about that a while ago, but it never got much love and ended up being archived
                    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit.../idi-p/6340481
                    Dave Plumb
                    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

                    CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X