Door Handling - Left / Right Reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Handling - Left / Right Reporting

I have started at a new office recently and am dealing with door handling (left swing / right swing) being a major part of their scheduling. Unfortunately, it is currently all manual entry. The doors have flip controls on them, yet the type name indicates what it should be (doesn't mean it is).
    So, I wanted to get some ideas on how others have or would deal with this, so we don't have to coordinate this manually anymore. I realise 3rd party apps or an option, but I would like to explore native methods first.

Broadly speaking, my first thought is to just build families without flip controls. Then I can create a parameter in the family and it will always report correctly.

Thanks in advance for any contributions.
    Last edited by damo3; July 13, 2017, 03:01 AM.

Dynamo can do it in a single click.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by damo3 View Post
      ..... my first thought is to just build families without flip controls. Then I can create a parameter in the family and it will always report correctly.
      This doesnt stop users mirroring the doors - so not failsafe
      Alex Page
      RevitWorks Ltd
      Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        Dynamo can do it in a single click.
        Yeah I know, and that would be my preference because it means less families! I will look at that option, already found a few threads, but there are other issues I won't get into around why that isn't first on my list...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Page View Post
          This doesnt stop users mirroring the doors - so not failsafe
          True, but removing the controls would remove the option and spacebar functionality. You always have to communicate with the team with these types of changes, because really, not much is failsafe if users don't appreciate & understand the method being used.

Comment

Well, three project shared parameters, set to Vary by group instance (ismirrored, is flipped, finalHanding), and one short graph, and it's all done.

So what issues "don't you want to get in to?"

Aaron Maller
            Director
            Parallax Team, Inc.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Ah I didn't mean a dynamo issue. It's an I.T. and firm issue with regards to software. Thanks for the parameter suggestions though!

Comment

I personally don't want to tell people they can't mirror objects. Because that gets in to not being able to mirror groups, and families with nested families, and a whole host of other issues.

It's why I like the instance and API or Dynamo approach. Trying to build it in to doors is a lot of effort, and it doesn't get you any closer to having it right, than a programming approach.

Aaron Maller
                Director
                Parallax Team, Inc.

Comment

Do you have a reference for that graph? I tried to determine handing with dynamo awhile ago, but I couldn't find how to access the mirror/flip information of the family...
                  Julie Kidder
                  Architect + BIM Director
                  Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

Know of any good Dynamo primers? I'd like to check it out but have absolutely no clue how it works.

Comment