View Visibility And Graphics takes 30 minutes to open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View Visibility And Graphics takes 30 minutes to open

Has anyone ever had this? I posted a few weeks ago that VV/VG was slow to open. But now its degraded to the point where if I click VV or try to edit a view template it just hangs. I've left it 30-45min and it will eventually pop up. I'm running on a VDI, I will pull it off and check locally detatched to make sure that isn't it, like a path is missing and its searching for a linked file or something it can't find. Other then that any suggestions. I've looked at all the families in the project and can't find anything out of the ordinary. Note this is a 2016 project and it is large 560mb has lots of equipment in it and furniture. The file works fine other then this issue. I've gone thru the warnings. I've got a bunch or Rail is not continuous errors, elements have duplicate 'type mark' values(this is do to our nested door panel and frames), a bunch of highlighted walls overlap, this is due to the way we model finish walls with back up walls, Some wall and room separation line overlaps warnings, and tons of "two elements were not automatically joined because one or both is not editable(by the way how the heck do you fix this?), some could not create wall sweep, two wall sweeps are overlapping.

Any ideas welcome.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Journal File off the VDI machine?
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

[QUOTE=sdbrownaia;188670]
      a bunch of highlighted walls overlap, this is due to the way we model finish walls with back up walls
      [QUOTE]

I am curious and would like to ask why you have to model walls so they overlap ? What is the particular reason that you need them that way? Thanks.
      Revit add-ins: Purger (delete UNUSED and selected line patterns & line styles, find & delete CAD), Rooms To Spaces, Schedule Utilities (Calculated Values/Combined Parameters To Tags, reuse view filter rules in schedule filters), View Filter Manager (with bunch of other features) at Revit Exchange Apps, View Filter Manager ML

Comment

Im curious about that too: Modeling finishes as separate walls doesnt cause that warning, unless the team is doing something wonky and doubling up on geometry while they model finishes. If they are doing that, there are a bunch of problems that are going to creep up.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

I will look into the issue with walls overlapping. I think it is because using separate finish walls for brick veneer you have to join geometry for the windows to cut thru, the air space in the brick may vary so there are places when the brick goes out or in and overlaps the core wall. I can clean that up with multiple finish wall types. There maybe some other issues, I'll look at all those warnings.

However I got some info back from ADSK and they are escalating the issue. They say there are now 5500 linetypes in the project. Likely from an exploded DWG. I can totally see how an exploded DWG would screw up a project, so we all know not to do that and whats odd is there is no evidence of that being done. Unless it was done in the family editor by someone working on the job who is no longer here, but that would have been months ago and I can't even imagine a cad file having 5500 linetypes. So I'm wondering if revit is duplicating linetypes(maybe corrupted from a Cad file) like it has been doing with some of the parameters in our project. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Hopefully they will find a fix. They can get rid of the linetypes but that didn't fix the issue yet. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and input. Luckily this didn't happen before we got CD's out. Another reason I'm thinking some how revit is multiplying the linetypes is that we noticed a slow down in how long it took to open VV a month or so ago, and its gotten progressively worse, like everytime you save revit creates more linetypes. I don't know, just thinking outloud.

Comment

That actually has happened, with the Subcategory list, when people have downloaded content from random places. There was a known corruption issue where the Category "0" would just keep duplicating itself, until the model was completely unusable.

As for the other stuff:

Finish walls (my personal opinion, obviously) should NEVER be overlapping with the core walls. I build all of my different air gaps in to different finish walls, and swap them out. It should cause this issue, but it WILl cause others: Failures of Wall joins, general slowness editing walls, looking crappy in plans and details... thats nasty.

Exploding CAD isnt the only thing that causes new linetypes, btw. I *think* importing (not linking) CAD does too. I dont remember, since i never do it. My guess (uneducated guess from the outside) is they are in the equipment and furniture families.

Comment

No, Import CAD does not create any additional line types. Only Exploding does that.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbrownaia View Post

However I got some info back from ADSK and they are escalating the issue. They say there are now 5500 linetypes in the project. Likely from an exploded DWG. I can totally see how an exploded DWG would screw up a project, so we all know not to do that and whats odd is there is no evidence of that being done. Unless it was done in the family editor by someone working on the job who is no longer here, but that would have been months ago and I can't even imagine a cad file having 5500 linetypes.
                To be precise here, line patterns or line styles in Revit nomenclature ?
                Line styles are created if dwg is exploded, line patterns are created when dwg is linked/imported and it doesn't matter if it is exploded, so if you link/import many dwgs then you can end up with hundreds or thousands of line patterns.

I have got files with hundreds of line patterns coming from many dwgs and there is no lag when opening VG.

As @Twiceroadsfool already suggested, you may try to chase line patterns in families.
                Revit add-ins: Purger (delete UNUSED and selected line patterns & line styles, find & delete CAD), Rooms To Spaces, Schedule Utilities (Calculated Values/Combined Parameters To Tags, reuse view filter rules in schedule filters), View Filter Manager (with bunch of other features) at Revit Exchange Apps, View Filter Manager ML

Comment

since this is the first project that has a ton of medical equipment in it that I've been on and much of that was placed by a user in a diff office(but months ago) I would suspect it as I did have to open a bunch of the families to assign and correct materials, but I didn't notice any imported cad geometry or any of that, but some of them definately had nested parts which I should dig deeper in to see if they might have had imported stuff in them. Anyway. lets hope adsk can figure it out, cause I've worked my way back thru back ups to June and still have the issue.

I'll keep you posted. And see some of you soon in Toronto!!

Comment

Fair enough. As Artejon said, it was the Line Patterns i was thinking of.
                    Attached Files

Comment