The right asset for the job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The right asset for the job

In materials browser, i have often wondered how to creat a new asset that has the correct 'properties present'. Like bump map. Is there a way i can instead of trawling through materials that has an assset that contains the right 'properties' , choose a material asset that has the right properties i need?
    Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

There are two buttons at top right under Appearance tab: first one replaces current asset of a material so you can choose from a library of assets, the other one duplicates an asset which you can customize and use later.
    Revit add-ins: Purger (delete UNUSED and selected line patterns & line styles, find & delete CAD), Rooms To Spaces, Schedule Utilities (Calculated Values/Combined Parameters To Tags, reuse view filter rules in schedule filters), View Filter Manager (with bunch of other features) at Revit Exchange Apps, View Filter Manager ML

Comment

Yep, inderstand that, but how do i know which of those assets have all the 'properties' required for the new one. For instance, i wanted to make a new brick material, but i wanted one with a bump map. All i could find was relief ones. How similiar that is im not sure. How could i have found an asset immediately that contained a bump map with having to load it one after another.
      It like there needs to be an option to add the extras into each asset if you need them.
      Last edited by biff; June 29, 2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I think that a proper naming convention and keeping custom assets in own library would do the job.
        Revit add-ins: Purger (delete UNUSED and selected line patterns & line styles, find & delete CAD), Rooms To Spaces, Schedule Utilities (Calculated Values/Combined Parameters To Tags, reuse view filter rules in schedule filters), View Filter Manager (with bunch of other features) at Revit Exchange Apps, View Filter Manager ML

Comment

It'll depend on what you want it to do.

I typically default to 'generic' for most of my typical materials. Has bump, tint, illumination, cutout, transparency, and reflectivity.
          There are two types of metals, one for 'painted metal', and the other for relief or cutouts with different types of metals.

What's your reasoning for wanting a bump map rather than a relief pattern for a brick material? They generally interact the same in renders with brick patterns.
          Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
          Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

thanks andrew, that's what I was wanting to know. I wonder if there is a list of the different ones, and what they have. And why we can't add one of these properties to any asset. . And yes, the relief and bump seem to be comparable for bricks.
            I find myself thinking what the 'actual' difference is between relief and bump.
            Or maybe I should rephrase that.

Comment

Materials in Revit are predefined by type of real material to make them easy to use, but with ease of use comes simplicity that you have to deal with, as you noted you can't add/remove specific properties to/from an asset, only the whole assets can be assigned.
              You have to relay on hardcoded presets (set of specific properties) meant to work best for explicit kind of a material like metal or wood. If it is not enough for you then it's time to export a model to other software for more sophisticated rendering.
              Relief (explicit property) seems to be a subset of bump (generic property) as bump has more options to tweak.

Comment

Thankyou artejon. Understood.

Comment

Originally posted by biff View Post
                  I find myself thinking what the 'actual' difference is between relief and bump.
                  Or maybe I should rephrase that.
                  depends on what that 1 thing in life is :blah:
                  There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment