X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necro99
    started a topic Linking MEP Details to Families

Linking MEP Details to Families

I've been on a tear recently with putting as much data as I can into our library of standard families. I've been entering our standard specification text and legend images into them (which I posted about here: https://www.revitforum.org/mep-gener...fications.html) and I've got these schedules up and running. Seeing the various specs and graphic legends auto-populate as I enter objects into a blank model is a thing of beauty!

So now, as my quest for Total Automation continues, I'm looking at our details and control sequence diagrams which (for now) are in CAD. What's the smartest way to create a link between each family and its detail? I could make a URL parameter that linked to the relevant detail DWG file, but I'd really like to start moving us away from CAD imports as much as possible. I tried making a stand-alone RVT file of a 2D detail and linking to that with a URL parameter, but evidently I can't launch Revit from inside an active Type Properties dialog box like I can with other file formats (which makes sense.)

Detailing is one of these areas of Revit that I haven't taken the time to fully understand. I know that Architects use it a lot, but in the MEP world our details are usually far more "boilerplate" and generic. We currently compose CAD drawings of the entire detail sheet and bring it in to Revit as a single CAD Link. Maybe that's the best way for MEP to do it, but I'd love to find a more automated, Revit-based workflow for this if it exists.