Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd floor wall detail not showing like the 1st floor detail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd floor wall detail not showing like the 1st floor detail.

Hi All, new here and to Revit, learning as I make my first project using 'Residential Design' by Daniel Stine to 'walk' me through it. Problem I have is that my 1st floor looks great, all wall details joined okay - everything cleaned up as I like. Then I go to start the 2nd floor and the wall details are just very basic outlines of a wall - not what i need. None of the core, sheathing, gypsum etc are visible in this view. I understand from checking forums etc that it may be the wall height about the floor plan level is only 700mm (the roof will be added to these walls) and when I increase the height of the walls temporarily the detail shows, so I guess that is the problem. But my walls must be this height - how do I get around this? If I change the view range on this floor to have the cut plane lower than the 700mm it still doesn't show detail. If I add the roof and connect it maybe it then shows detail but I would like to check my walls all are correct before I move on to the roof otherwise I might overlook something.
    Plus maybe adding the roof makes no difference and I have to go back and remake something, which I don't want to do. Any ideas? Obviously it's a big problem because I can't see how any walls join up and I'd like to do that before I move on.

Any help would be great.

Is your view detail level setting the same; i.e. Coarse vs Medium vs Fine?
    If you have a View Template, is it the same template?
    I don't know how the metric cut-plane settings are normally so I can't help much there :hide:
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Conventionally look at 1200mm AFL for the metric cut plane.
      agree with chad, set detail level to fine.
      If you go to the first floor, you can create a view template from that using all or some of your graphical settings. Just right click on that view name, and select create view template, then after that is done go to the 2nd floor view, right click on the name and select apply view template and choose the one you made. View templates however don't contain view range settings, but do contain a lot of graphical content, allowing fast ability to match views of similar requirements in a project to each other. Graphical consistency.
      Somewhere in his book, there should be mention of view templates, hopefully.
      There are many resources available for learning, among them being youtube channels, Autodesk, Bimscape has a great free Introductory series and also Lynda.com if you have access.
      Texts include the Mastering Revit Architecture series by Eddy Krygiel et al, No experience Necessary by Eric Wing, and others. The books are great, I'm biased. Always like to have a hard copy to leaf through. Pick them up, and always find a gem.
      Some texts like daniel stines use a actual build tutorial whereas others use chapters on areas and explanation of theory. I think the latter will be more use to you further down the track.
      Just remember as you progress through the book with him, don't just play 'follow the leader' and end up with a building at the end, but see what tools he is using and why. That's the reason behind tutorials, the building is purely a vehicle for demonstration of tools. Grasp hold of this approach, and your learning increases tenfold.
      Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment