Shared Coordinates but backwards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared Coordinates but backwards??

my current project, due to the schedule, was started almost 3 months ago without having the Architectural or Structural project models. I received those yesterday. My plan was to, when I got the project models, to link them O to O and then move my modeling to match their grid intersections. The problem is, the Arch dwgs that I've been using to determine project scope has the building rotated 90 degrees in the plan views, unknown to me previously. Because I have a lot of GMs modeled I can't rotate my model without losing a bunch of modeled content and dimensions. I know how to link a model O to O, move and/or rotate it to match where my model is, then acquire coordinates, remove the link, then relink using Shared Coordinates. That gets them to where I am. What I need to figure out is the opposite. How do I get me to where they are without having to move or rotate my model. The project model location is prox 1000' off in the X and Y directions and 112'-9" in the Z direction. When the Contractor wants my model exported to Navis for clash detection they are not going to want to do any futzing around to get my model in the correct orientation and elevation. Help! Where's Steve Stafford when you need him?

edit: moving my model is OK, it's the rotating that I need to get around
    Last edited by Dave Jones; June 23, 2017, 03:42 PM. Reason: added info
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Maybe you've already tried this, but I would start by moving and rotating the linked file and then reacquire the shared coordinates.

(But one thing I know about shared coordinates is that you do it in a particular order and leave it alone ... coming back later to change things just causes frustrations like you're experiencing.)

Comment

Originally posted by CADiva View Post
      Maybe you've already tried this, but I would start by moving and rotating the linked file and then reacquire the shared coordinates.

(But one thing I know about shared coordinates is that you do it in a particular order and leave it alone ... coming back later to change things just causes frustrations like you're experiencing.)
      I did go through the acquire coordinates process noted in my OP, then as a test I unloaded the project links from my model, opened the Arch model and link my model into it using Shared Coordinates. My model arrived 1000' off in X and Y and 112'-9" off in Z. So that's not working.

Comment

Firstly, you don't ever ever ever have to pick up a model and rotate it. Ever.

If it's not working when you try to acquire coordinates, try using their model as a pusher.

1. SWC in your model and make sure ALL worksets and project settings worksets are checked in.

2. Open their model with DFC checked. Save as to recreate a central file from their model.

3. Link your model in center to center.

4. Physically move and rotate your model in to the correct position.

5. Use the publish coordinates option, and select your linked file.

6. Immediately swc in their model. You'll see a couple of popups about saving YOUR model. Tell it to SAVE the new coords.

7. Check timestamp on your model. It should have just changed.

8. Go in your model. Link theirs in by shared. Should be all good.

9. Check Navis export settings. Make sure it's using shared.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
        Director
        Parallax Team, Inc.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones
          ...Where's Steve Stafford when you need him?...
          I'm around...somewhat

Aaron's list should get you where you need to be... so should your earlier steps...less one, removing and linking again.

I don't know why people think they have to remove a link after acquiring coordinates. It isn't necessary. When you move and rotate their file and use Acquire Coordinates you're done. When you send them your file they need to use Positioning: By Shared Coordinates. When you get a new file just replace the one you've already got, use the same name to keep it easy.

As Aaron mentioned, exporting to Navis you need to make sure you're using Shared Coordinates, same for exporting to DWG if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            Should be all good

Aaron Maller
            Director
            Parallax Team, Inc.
            You Sir, get a Friday Gold Star. I've been dealing with the gut wrenching since yesterday. I owe you another one for sure!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
              I don't know why people think they have to remove a link after acquiring coordinates. It isn't necessary
              because You told me to here

Maybe I misunderstood the process though. That's not unheard of for me

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
                I'm around...somewhat
                Been keeping busy playing those badass drums? We miss you! Upload some audio clips, or something. =)
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones
                  ...because You told me to here...
                  :banghead:

Sorry about that! I think I included that aspect in the post because of the thread it was referring to.

You're beyond the issue now but FWIW I just tested doing it without removing the link and linking as well as following the directions in the post. Both worked as I expected them to.

I don't know why your model ended up offset from theirs after using Acquire Coordinates (AC). It might be possible that you used AC but didn't succeed...since Revit doesn't acknowledge success or failure when you use the tool. For example if the Survey Point didn't move to a new location after using AC then you didn't successfully select their linked file to complete the command. It is surprisingly easy to do, to miss click that is.

Glad you're back on track though.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool
                    ...Been keeping busy playing those badass drums?...
                    Yes, to some degree...in 2 bands at the moment! My first gig as part of Parker Street Gypsies is July 29th at the OC Fair. If you use Instagram you can find stuff via @Steve_Stafford.

Comment