Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locate a family

Hi,

I have an issue where we are trying to export a CAD file from Revit to coordinate with another consultant. However when we do, the CAD files are huge (80mb+). After some investigating I've discovered that the problem goes away when I turn off "Imports in Families", specifically the item "(Default)". Is there a way to find which family/families contain "(Default)". We have a lot of families in our model both standard and custom as well as those received from manufacturers etc.

Thanks in advance,
    P

If I were you I would start with the families you received from manufacturers, these are the ones likely to contain the bugs.

Comment

There are some dynamo nodes that will do it, I believe. Here's one method: The Simply Complex Blog: Find the Families in your Revit Project that have Embedded DWG mesh files. Use Dynamo BIM

If you're not Dynamo savvy, then you could save all the families out and check any with larger file sizes. That's what I've done in the past, though it's not always the bigger files... To do that, go to Save As, Library, Family. Save all the families out of the project into a new folder, this can take a minute.

Comment

Thanks @need4mospd. My PC doesn't handle dynamo too well but I tried your second idea. None of the files were unusually big but when I removed the two biggest families the CAD export was a much smaller size. As @Karalon10 suspected it was a manufacturers family that was the problem.

I had already checked this family but there was no sign of "(Default)" in it.

Comment