Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Need a way to copy light fixture attributes to other fixtures???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Need a way to copy light fixture attributes to other fixtures???

Hey brilliant friends! I need your help! I have 300 or so fixtures that I'm typing in 4 attributes each for. Is there any way at all to speed this up? A way to copy the attribute data to other fixtures? Or a way to do automatic numbering for fixture numbers??

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Can you create a Schedule with all these parameters included, and then uncheck "Itemize all Instances"?
    You might need to do some fancy Sorting, Grouping, and Filtering to make sure you're limiting which fixtures are included in each collapsed group, but that will allow you to type in one value and apply to many at once.
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
      Can you create a Schedule with all these parameters included, and then uncheck "Itemize all Instances"?
      You might need to do some fancy Sorting, Grouping, and Filtering to make sure you're limiting which fixtures are included in each collapsed group, but that will allow you to type in one value and apply to many at once.
      That sounds pretty cool. Would this be a dangerous thing if I was working on a large centrally shared file?

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you set up you filters correctly.
        You can always uncheck the "Itemize" box before making the change to verify which fixtures you're about to change. Then check it again and type in your value.
        Last edited by DaveP; June 2, 2017, 04:50 PM. Reason: oops: "Shouldn't", not "should" !
        Dave Plumb

Comment

I mean, there are other Schedules/Quantities sheets on the file. So if I make new ones for these many many groups of 18, if I delete the sheets later will I lose all the data on the fixtures I put in?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
            Shouldn't be a problem as long as you set up you filters correctly.
            You can always uncheck the "Itemize" box before making the change to verify which fixtures you're about to change. Then check it again and type in your value.
            I see. Damn I'm going to have to experiment with this, and we're a little short on time right. I just hate doing something slowly when I KNOW there's a better, more efficient way right around the corner.

Thanks for your help, Dave!

Comment

We've got LOTS of schedules in our Template that are only used for tasks like this as well as QA'ing to see what's actually used in the project.
              They are never placed on Sheets.
              Adding or deleting a Schedule won't affect anything. I like to think of it as a database report. You're not deleting the data, you're just deleting the report.

We've also got several schedules set up to Sort and Group by, for example, Type and then Mark.
              Put a blank line between each Type and it's real easy to scroll through and see where you've got two white rows without a space between.
              Which means you've got two Types with the same Mark
              Dave Plumb

Comment

The way I normally do this type of multiple attribute editing [assuming the attributes are the same and not sequential numbers, etc.] is to select all the items that I want the same attributes for and you'll see that you can add the attributes to them and they will apply to all the selected items.

Sometimes it's for all of the type and sometimes it may all the items on one floor [you can go into 3D view and select in different ways visually too].
                Kamran Mirza
                Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

Comment

Originally posted by kamranmirza View Post
                  The way I normally do this type of multiple attribute editing [assuming the attributes are the same and not sequential numbers, etc.] is to select all the items that I want the same attributes for and you'll see that you can add the attributes to them and they will apply to all the selected items.

Sometimes it's for all of the type and sometimes it may all the items on one floor [you can go into 3D view and select in different ways visually too].
                  Yes! This is actual what I started doing after an hour, and it clearly helped out tons. Only thing I had to go in a do was renumber the fixtures. I'm sure there's a way to take care of that too where they number themselves sequentially. Maybe with Dave's trick above. I'm going to play around with this Monday. Thank yall so much for the brilliant help!

Comment

This just screams pulling the data out and updating in excel and push it back in.
                    BIMLink or even Dynamo could do it.
                    Chris Heinaranta | Architectural Technologist

Comment