IFC: Export curtain wall as railing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFC: Export curtain wall as railing

We have a project that has IFC files as one of the required turn ins. The railing in the project can't be modeled well by the railing tool (perforated panels and variable baluster placement on every run since they have to be located where existing railing is being removed x 2 stairwell x 9 floors). This is the first project I've used IFC exporting on, and ideally we'd be able to model the stairs with the more flexible curtain wall tool and then force it to export correctly.

Using the IFCExportAs parameter I can get system curtain panels to export as railing, but mullions don't. The classification code, object type override and presentation layer are incorrect

Looking for alternate solutions I tried a model in place railing family and a generic family with the IFCExportAs parameter set. They do export as railings, but are missing a lot of data. A generic model on a subcategory then defined as exporting as railing exports as a proxy type.

I found an old post that suggested in 2014 walls would ignore an IFCExportAs parameter - does that still apply to system types? Regular walls and floors don't seem to change.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this, or does each segment of rail need to be modeled as a different type, with different panels in order to export correctly?
    Julie Kidder
    Architect + BIM Director
    Hartman + Majewski Design Group