Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geometry snap points in family

hello,

Please find attached. I have to unistruts families - one face down, one up. Looking same to me, but one on the left doesn't have a midpoint line, which I want to align to reference plane. I attached host family (it's a left view) with these 2 unistruts.

Also If someone can explain that extrusion start and end thing in properties please? I try to change start/end to 0 for example, but it creates that Revit warnings. Just simply explanation what they based on, would be great.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by baggins79; June 1, 2017, 12:53 PM.

Well, this family has two families nested into it (left:41x41 Unistrut Horiz Down & right: 41x41 Unistrut Horiz Up). In the Unistruct Horiz Down, someone changed the "center" reference plane to Not a Reference, so that's why you're not getting a reference plane at the midpoint.

As for the extrusion start/end bit, that's because the extrusion is constrained to the reference planes in the Floor Plans-> Ref Level view. Open up either of those two families, and look at the Floor Plans>Ref Level view. If you select the extrusion, its triangular grip are aligned and locked to the "Center" ref plane on the left and the unnamed Strong Ref plane on the right.

It's intended to be changed by modifying the Length (1200) parameter, with the left end being fixed. I *think* you would most likely want to have a similar length parameter in your Uni Uni family that you tie to these nested families so that you can modify them in a project context unless you only ever want them to be 1200mm long.

In the Uni Uni family, make a parameter called length (instance). Select one of the two unistrut families, hit the tiny button at the right of the Length Parameter, and then link it to the newly created Length parameter in the Uni Uni parent/container family. Repeat for the other one.

Might even want to change the reference planes/add new ones to the Uni Uni family for left end/right end, keep the middle as the actual middle, tie the length parameter to the left/right ref planes so you have draggable/alignable grips in the parent family. Did this in 2017, didn't pay attention to which you were using when it upgraded the family.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Capture.PNG
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

yes sir, thank a lot for it!

Originally posted by flayre View Post
      Well, this family has two families nested into it (left:41x41 Unistrut Horiz Down & right: 41x41 Unistrut Horiz Up). In the Unistruct Horiz Down, someone changed the "center" reference plane to Not a Reference, so that's why you're not getting a reference plane at the midpoint.

As for the extrusion start/end bit, that's because the extrusion is constrained to the reference planes in the Floor Plans-> Ref Level view. Open up either of those two families, and look at the Floor Plans>Ref Level view. If you select the extrusion, its triangular grip are aligned and locked to the "Center" ref plane on the left and the unnamed Strong Ref plane on the right.

It's intended to be changed by modifying the Length (1200) parameter, with the left end being fixed. I *think* you would most likely want to have a similar length parameter in your Uni Uni family that you tie to these nested families so that you can modify them in a project context unless you only ever want them to be 1200mm long.

In the Uni Uni family, make a parameter called length (instance). Select one of the two unistrut families, hit the tiny button at the right of the Length Parameter, and then link it to the newly created Length parameter in the Uni Uni parent/container family. Repeat for the other one.

Might even want to change the reference planes/add new ones to the Uni Uni family for left end/right end, keep the middle as the actual middle, tie the length parameter to the left/right ref planes so you have draggable/alignable grips in the parent family. Did this in 2017, didn't pay attention to which you were using when it upgraded the family.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Comment

Yes sir,
        Helps indeed, top lad

Comment