Model Divisoin Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model Divisoin Advice?

Our firm is starting a large project where we are handling both the structural as well as the architectural disciplines. The facility is mostly industrial in nature, but includes various office areas.

For the initial design phase, all elements were in the same model. Now that we're about to begin more detailed design and construction documents, I'm questioning if there's a better way to organize this. If I'm making a large change, now is the time.

From your experiences, am I better off to break this into two entirely separate Revit models; one for structural and one for architectural? Or, since the architectural areas are fairly limited compared to the overall scope, should I just use my view templates or worksets to control the visibility of these build-outs?

Thanks!

didn't see anyone else reply here, so my take would be:

1. definitely split up the architectural and structural models. you'll most likely have different people working on each model and eventually, they'll also need to churn out a number of drawings for each discipline so it'll be easier to separate them and link the files into each other regardless of size. if you decide to do any coordination in navisworks, it'll make it easier as well having a separate structural vs. architectural model.

2. from there, you'd need to evaluate how complex you foresee these models getting and how you plan on doing your documentation. if the model will still be relatively small and not that complex by the end, then you can probably keep the architectural model to one file but if it will get big or there are different components, then you can look at how it might be split up into a couple of models that are linked all together into 1 main file where your sheets are.

Comment