Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topo and Building Elevation alignment

Hi all,

Here is my issue: Created my house in the elevation 00. After the design is done we got the survey in dwg. I linked it into Revit and created the topo in the same file as the house by using points. (00 = 235.0)

Result: My topo (sea level) is off set from my house.

I tried everything possible and could not find a solution. If I relocate the project the whole thing moves up.

Moving the topo down doesn't help because we need to be able to edit the topo with the sea level coordinates.

Question: How can I manage to have topo and project at sea level and still show the project base point for levels in sections?

Any help? Thanks!!!

Use project and survey levels; project levels are as per your house and survey levels are as per sea level. You can switch between the two if you need to edit the topo in sea level measurements. But you'll have to align the topo to the house to start with.
    Kamran Mirza
    Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

Comment

Try to move whole house, levels incl, up to topo, then set poject base point for house. Can be a pain, normally i model the house on topo, and if needed do project base adjust then.
      Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

Originally posted by biff View Post
        Try to move whole house, levels incl, up to topo, then set poject base point for house. Can be a pain, normally i model the house on topo, and if needed do project base adjust then.
        Yes, I second biff's opinion: move the house TO the topo. And it is a pain. That's why it's better to start with the site first and move onwards from there. Part of setting up the project.
        Kamran Mirza
        Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

Comment

Holy cow. Dont move the house.

1. Pull the topo down 235 feet.
          2. Create a level at -235 feet, and call it SITE SEA LEVEL.
          3. Edit your Topo, and tell it to be based off that Level.
          4. Manage Ribbon > Coordinates > Specify Coordinates at a Point
          4b. Click on something at 0.00" elevation, and tell it its at 235'.00.

Now use Project Base or Relative when you want it in relation to 0 (level 1). Or use Shared when you want it in real world. Editing your topo will be WRT the level 235' below.

Picking a model up and moving it is a clusterf**k. No one should ever do that.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks aaron, its great to see the correct way to do things. I cerainly encountered problems the other way some times, but it always on a partial built small residential build and if it broke i just ctrl z and copped what i had orginally.
            This procedure you describe makes a lot of sense and i will definitely try this approach out as a play project. What do you mean when you mention "editing your topo will be WRT (?) the level 235' below"? Didnt quite understand that bit.
            Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

Very welcome!

You can set your topo to be on the level of the SEA LEVEL Level that you create, 235 feet down. So then when you are editing the points, you are editing values With Respect To (ERT) the Sea Level, meaning the points say 235.00, and so on.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thank you all. Moving the whole project would not work for this project and start a project with the sea level is not realistic as we always get the survey after the design development.

I tried your suggestion but is didn't work. Maybe I am missing a step? Please find the video attached.

Comment

If you are not using Revit LT I always link my Revit house file into my Revit topography file: this allows you to rotate/move the house, move up or down exactly as required for your perfect site placement.
                  Then, share coordinates and link the Revit topography file back into your house; position by shared coordinates- all good.
                  Alex Page
                  RevitWorks Ltd
                  Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Do you also do this for a small project?

Comment