Work Interruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Interruption

I have had to model boats recently, using Massing to create the super-structure of the boat. After creating the Mass (it usually has curves around its edges) and assigning walls and roofs to its faces, Revit complains and enables recovery each time I try to use the Join Geometry Tool to clean up those edges (wall and top edges) with the most curves.

I have learnt to use generic models to build the walls and top of such curved areas in some cases, but my question is, is the going into recovery normal or does it have something to do with my hardware.

I appreciate what what anyone has to say. Thank you.

Well, it can be one of two things IMHO:

1. Your hardware is failing on you. What are the specs? For both the pc and the project?
    2. If I read your post correctly you are trying to modify double curved walls? Revit is absolutely not happy with that. It could well be that you are trying something the software simply cannot "calculate". I've had this on many occasions with a project involving the shape of an egg cut in half. It just wouldn't play nice so I ended up doing a LOT of 2D overrides...
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks Martijn, my laptop's specs are actually low for what it does (2gig Ram, 2.17ghz duo core), getting a Dell studio very soon. Don't understand what you mean by project specs.

Comment

Originally posted by zarc View Post
        Don't understand what you mean by project specs.
        probably asking what size the .rvt file is...
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

oh, project size is just under 100mb

Comment

Originally posted by zarc View Post
            oh, project size is just under 100mb
            that's a pretty big file to be trying to manipulate with only 2GB RAM. Hope that your new Dell will have 8MB +. You'll definitely see and feel the difference!
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'm working on it!

Comment

Revit needs about 20x filesize in order to work. So that very well might be the problem here. Your project file of 100mb is already gobbling up all available RAM. And then there's windows and whatever program you might also be running (virusscanner, chatting software, and so on). Try to purge the file to reduce filesize. And shut down all things not needed to work. If you have to, unplug from internet to be able to shut down any anti-virus software (they tend to guzzle up a fair amount of rams too when they are auto-syncing / scanning)
                O, and if you can: go to 12 or 16 gb ram. The more, the marrier (providing you're going to have a 64bit system).
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment