Design Options - first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Options - first time

I've been using Revit for many, many years. But, believe it or not, this will be the first time I've needed to use Design Options. I'm Structural, but I believe my questions are general enough to post here in the Arch and General subforum.

Outside Architect. So the Architectural model is linked to my Structural model.

We're looking at an exterior canopy. I've already modeled one canopy (hanging tube frame with rods back to the exterior wall.)
    Now I've learned that the Architect has used Design Options to model a larger canopy with supporting columns.

How do I match the Architect's D.O.? Is there an easy way to match, or copy/monitor? (I see he has some other D.O.s that may or may not be related to the canopy... I may, at some point need structure for those also.)
    How do I move the originally designed canopy to it's own D.O. so it won't show in the "Enlarged" D.O.?
    How do i go about annotating the separate D.O.s?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.
    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
    How do I match the Architect's D.O.? Is there an easy way to match, or copy/monitor? (I see he has some other D.O.s that may or may not be related to the canopy... I may, at some point need structure for those also.)
    When a design option set is created, a new tab will appear in the visibility graphic overrides dialog. Create new views, and then assign a specific design option to those views (both host model and linked model). Copy/Monitor will still work in design options, but only for elements that can be monitored (columns, openings, floors, etc.)

How do I move the originally designed canopy to it's own D.O. so it won't show in the "Enlarged" D.O.?
    After a design option set is created, multiple (secondary) design options can then be added to a single set. For example, a Design Option Set can be named "Exterior Canopy". The first option in that set would be "No Canopy", and the second option in that set would be "Canopy". After the options have been created, selected the affected elements from the main model, and in the Design Options tool under the Manage Tab, the elements can be added to an option.

How do i go about annotating the separate D.O.s?
    Annotations can be added to the new views that were created specifically to show the design options (see first response).

Additional Resources
    Last edited by Knitro87; May 5, 2017, 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Tony Perez @Twitter
    Senior Structural Designer
    Tesla Gigafactory - Austin

Comment

Next Question regarding Design Options:

In the "Main Model" I have a wall with a footing along the edge of the patio (see attached.) The Design Option for an extended canopy required columns and column footings. The Main Model wall footing is at -5'-0" and the new column footings are also at -5'-0". How can I trim out the footings?
      Attached Files
      AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional

Comment

This is where Design Options can become a little cumbersome. If any surrounding elements interfere with the geometry in the Design Option, it would behoove you to also add those elements to the Set. You can add the entire wall and wall footing to the Design Option set... OR, split the wall (and wall footing) into small segments where they intersect the column footing, and then add those to the set. Once in the set, you can delete/modify the elements as you see fit.
        Tony Perez @Twitter
        Senior Structural Designer
        Tesla Gigafactory - Austin

Comment

Originally posted by Knitro87 View Post
          This is where Design Options can become a little cumbersome. ...
          Thanks Tony. I want to <like> your post, but I don't really "like" the work that needs to be put into it. LOL!

Comment