Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishes / Material Tag workflow

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Finishes / Material Tag workflow

    Good Morning,

    I just wanted to check in to see what everyone else is doing regarding finishes and tagging.
    What we have been doing is a combination of "Painting" Revit materials and or using the desires material and then using a "Material Tag" to display the mark value of such material.

    I have found this works pretty well. The challenge we run into, or what sometime happens is that we have to FAKE a tag for an item.
    perfect example for instance is where the inside of the cabinets is to have a different kind of laminate (white) than the outside and there are several cases like this where it becomes unproductive to model / paint and element.

    Someone suggested using user key notes? Just looking for the way that makes the most sense and most importantly that can be used down the line for other "model uses"

    Just looking for some thoughts.
    Thanks

    #2
    Interesting use case and one that happens all the time. Laminate for the exterior, melamine for the interior. I handle that specific issue in the specs but the large issue of how to tag materials remains.

    The challenge, I think, is when the material crosses from finish to material - paint vs gypsum board - red glazed brick vs brick - I think of the finish part as what gets tagged by a "material" tag and the material part as what gets tagged by a material keynote or category/multi-category tag.

    If I was going to tag the melamine in that model I would either model/paint the material finish (in the family most likely) so it was taggable with a material tag, or I'd make it a text parameter in the family that a category tag could read... or both (some cabinets you can't see the interior of).
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

    Comment


      #3
      Why is it unproductive to model that? We already do it for Doors, where there are Painted Material Parameters on the surfaces of the doors. A single Paint/Finish parameter on the exterior, and one on the interiors of the cabinets, seems like a small edit to make, that would bring back a decent return on investment. Heck, since my shelves are all nested families i would probably do the shelves separate, also.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
        Interesting use case and one that happens all the time. Laminate for the exterior, melamine for the interior. I handle that specific issue in the specs but the large issue of how to tag materials remains.

        The challenge, I think, is when the material crosses from finish to material - paint vs gypsum board - red glazed brick vs brick - I think of the finish part as what gets tagged by a "material" tag and the material part as what gets tagged by a material keynote or category/multi-category tag.

        If I was going to tag the melamine in that model I would either model/paint the material finish (in the family most likely) so it was taggable with a material tag, or I'd make it a text parameter in the family that a category tag could read... or both (some cabinets you can't see the interior of).
        Sometimes - or typically we cut casework sections and we use that opportunity to tag some finishes with a material tag.
        For instance, in a recent set of CD's we were showing a stainless steel toe kick, so we edited the family and modeled / applied a material parameter we could control in the project and we were able to do it. It was quick. But now to have to model the inside of a cabinet just to be able to tag it properly is a "waste" of time.

        Doors are completely different. But let's say you are doing a project where each of the two sides of the door need to be painted a different color...
        In that case you need to model your panel in two pieces. I guess the solution would be to be able to paint families also, or maybe use a project parameter for all objects that a tag can read... (but then that is faking it in a way).

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Profoxcg View Post
          Doors are completely different. But let's say you are doing a project where each of the two sides of the door need to be painted a different color...
          In that case you need to model your panel in two pieces. I guess the solution would be to be able to paint families also, or maybe use a project parameter for all objects that a tag can read... (but then that is faking it in a way).
          No, not true at all. You can paint a Material Parameter on each side of the door (one piece of geometry) in the family editor. Have been able to as long as ive used Revit.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

          Comment


            #6
            I added the interior finish in my cabinets for rendering. Never thought to tag the finish in a section. Decent idea. My finishes though are all Instance parameters and the only section I would typically show is described by Type so a bust there for me.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              Have been able to as long as ive used Revit.
              Well, there was that time when 2014 first came out were you couldn't paint material parameters but they fixed that mistake in an update shortly thereafter.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Greg McDowell Jr
              about.me/GMcDowellJr

              Comment


                #8
                Yes, but you could still build the content in 2013 and use it in 2014, because my Doors never broke, LOL. You JUST couldnt use Paint with the parameters for a little while...

                EDIT: And i would be SCHEDULING the finishes on the interior, not tagging them.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  And i would be SCHEDULING the finishes on the interior, not tagging them.
                  Right!?!

                  Do you rename you materials to act as marks or leave the longer name in the schedule?

                  You wanna share a PDF of you cabinet type/schedule sheet? Pretty please?


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Greg McDowell Jr
                  about.me/GMcDowellJr

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I do (unfortunately) rename the Materials that get shown in schedules (Door finishes, millwork finishes) to a much shorter name.

                    Today on twitter, i was talking with Ceilidh Higgins about it, and i theorized (assumed) that we could technicallly do it with Dynamo (Object > Material Parameter, graph gets param value, finds material, selects material, gets Mark Parameter value, writes it to additional field in Object), but i cant stomach the thought of having to run that graph all the time. Its just not worth it.

                    Having a naming standard that works ALMOST all the time except for the 20 or so materials that go in schedules, is just fine.

                    A PDF of the Types? Ill do you one better. Ill upload the User Guide that ships with the content. And i JUST realized the first image needs to be updated since its missing some lines. Weird!
                    Attached Files
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X