• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to import

Hello...
    First, I'm new in using revit architecture and I have a set of queries
    Is there a way to import 3d objects from 3dmax to revit

Welcome to the forums!

I believe you can export objects out of 3ds Max as SAT files, and then import them into Revit as SAT files. You could also try using DWG for export/import.

However, they will just be "dumb" objects. If you do want to use objects from Max, it is commonly suggested that you import them into a Revit family and then load the family into your project rather than directly importing them into your project.

But the best course of action may depend on why your importing the objects.

Comment

Thanks brother iru69
      But I have no program 3dmax Is there a tool or a small program to convert?

But the best course of action may depend on why your importing the objects.
      I want to use objects 3dmax library because I think revit small as there is a lot of objects 3dmax free and beautiful sites on the net
      Last edited by saifalbergo; January 8, 2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

A lot of the sites with 3ds max files sometimes offer the same model in another format such as obj, sat and dwg. I would suggest finding some in sat or dwg format.
        There also seems to be some information here on how to convert the files. I just skimmed through the posts but it seemed like there is some free software to convert files.

hope this helps
        Juan Carlos Moreno
        Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
        Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

Originally posted by saifalbergo View Post
          .....I want to use objects 3dmax library because I think revit small as there is a lot of objects 3dmax free and beautiful sites on the net
          IMHO the best advice would be: Don´t do it It´s tempting to try that, and believe me, I wasted way to much time trying to do excactly that when I started out with Revit.
          Whatever solution or format is used, it´s gonna be static (not parametric) content, with no (or only lousy) options to change materials etc.
          Besides that, 3DS files are in general way to detailed to be used in Revit, without getting some major performance isues.
          Klaus Munkholm
          "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
            IMHO the best advice would be: Don´t do it It´s tempting to try that, and believe me, I wasted way to much time trying to do excactly that when I started out with Revit.
            Can't agree more. I did the same thing when I started out with Revit - "oh cool, a lamp fixture!", etc. Or even downloading things like Wolf ranges and Sub-Zero refrigerators. It just creates a mess and ends up being more of a hassle in the long run. Except for things like 3D cars that I'll use in a rendering, I try to avoid importing any kind of CAD stuff - and if I really need something, at the very least I clean it up before it goes into my project.

BTW, I haven't looked recently, but last time I checked a couple years ago, there was no easy "free" way to get 3DS models into Revit.

Comment

Thank you Friends
              Before I begin to learn revit I was use Archicad and had the start to import 3dx obj

I wish there is an easy way to import 3dx obj to revit and in particular that the two programs from the same company Autodesk

Comment

The real problem is, that Revit has a solid kernel, and most dwg and 3ds stuff out there comes in as meshes.
                That leaves you with nasty meshgrids in the viewports, unless you render. I had some success importing sketchup stuff, which keeps the materials, but lacks the same meshgrid problem. Duravit has some solid content in step format, wich converted to sat imports nicely in Revit.
                But like Munkholm mentioned, if possible, recreate it in Revit.

-rpict

Comment

pretty sure you can still use sketchup as an inbetween (which I think is still free?) imports as 3ds and export as dwg. Works fine, but I also agree it can be easier to recreate the model in revit rather than mess with layers to make materials render etc, previously poorly modelled items etc. However, can work sometimes so give it a go and particularly usefull for the more complex models. Hope that helps!

Max
                  the shoe was the sign.....

Comment

And I did what sat? How can I use?

Comment