How do you guys use worksets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys use worksets?

Please share... are they user specific (John's Workset, Bill's Workset), category specific (shell, foundation, etc), or any other ideas?

I currently use one workset for live work, and a unique workset for each Revit model I link in, but I'm lookin' to finesse the crap outta this office

To begin, if you are using worksets for visibility control, worksets are being used incorrectly.

A workset for each Revit model is a great way to control those! So that is right on there.

Other than that you really could just have workset1 and shared levels and grids. Most believe that a project will run more smoothly with less bumping into each other the more worksets you have, but this is not correct. My office really just uses workset1 and shared levels and grids. We do occasionally add worksets for other things as well, but that is usually because someone does not know phases or filters.

Comment

I like to change Workset 1 to Architectural, just to make things clear. Then work sets for links. And a work set for Site if there is going to be a really complex terrain model, linked or local. And lastly a work set for Entourage, if there is going to be really extensive entourage that most of the team never needs to deal with. All are there solely to manage memory and performance, not for managing visibility. Visibility is a filter and view template based exercise, not a work set based exercise.

Gordon
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

In order to explain how our worksets work, id have to explain how our Link setup works. So here are two excerpts from our Revit Manual:

Originally posted by Aaron the dictator
        1. Linking Files:
        1. File linking is a strategy to subdivide large or complex files into more manageable pieces
        2. Used to respond to the division of labor and responsibility on a project team
        3. Used to make the individual files easier to navigate and work in
        4. Almost all projects will have linked files
        5. One division of File Links is Trades: Architectural, Structural, Civil and MEP (which will sometimes be 1 model, and sometimes up to 4)
        6. In addition, trades may be broken up in to Subsets. Model division should be done such that work in one file does not require all of the links to be loaded.
        LARGE FOOTPRINT (short) buildings should use a Geographic System of Breakup:

Area 1: Has all of the elements of Area 1 (Skin, Interiors, Vertical Circulation, Equipment, etc)
        Area 2: Has all of the elements of Area 2 (Skin, Interiors, Vertical Circulation, Equipment, etc)
        Area 3: Has all of the elements of Area 3 (Skin, Interiors, Vertical Circulation, Equipment, etc)

This makes sense, as someone working in Area 2 has all of the pieces they need to work in that area, without Areas 1 and Areas 3 loaded. In this scenario, Documentation (Sheets) will occur in ONLY ONE of the Models. It will be named BASE instead of "AreaX."

LARGE HEIGHT (tall) buildings should use a Systemic System of Breakup:

Skin: Has all of the elements of the Exterior Skin
        Core: Has all of the elements of the Vertical Circulation Cores
        Floor Plates-Podium: Has all of the repetitive File Links for the Podium height Section of the Building
        Floor Plates-Intermed: Has all of the repetitive File Links for the Intermediate Height Section of the Building
        Floor Plates-Upper: Has all of the repetitive File Links for the Upper Height Section of the Building

Why the difference? When working on a Taller Systemic building, the Skin is thought of as one element. Breaking the building up by Areas (In either plan or elevation) would mean needing to load every Link, to edit the Skin. Likewise, a Vertical Circulation Core is thought of from bottom to top. If the size of an Elevator Shaft changes, it should be editable in one file, and not need all of the files.
        Which is then followed a little later by:

Originally posted by Aaron the dictator
        1. Worksets:
        1. Worksets are used to divide up a File, only for the purpose of Demand Loading, for specific tasks. They are not for Visibility Control. They are not to be used like Layers.
        2. They DO NOT DEPICT Project Phasing.
        3. They DO NOT DEPICT Construction Phaseing (demolition).
        4. They DO NOT DEPICT Design alternates or studies
        5. See the Beck Content Naming Standards for naming worksets
        6. The intent of Worksets is for them ALL TO BE LOADED during printing and plotting. They are not for controlling drawing graphics. If something shows up incorrectly when all worksets are loaded, it needs to be configured in another way.
        7. Worksets are an internal division between parts of a Revit file, all objects belong to a Workset
        8. They are used to reduce load and save times by allowing users to open only parts of a large Revit file
        9. Workset Delineation is much Like File Link Delineation, and files the same set of rules, in cases where File Links are Not used. In addition, geographic devision of "Intensely Scoped Areas" (Worship Rooms in Churches, Auditoriums in Theaters, Operating Rooms in Hospitals) should have Worksets, for demand Loading and Unloading.
        10. If a Project has FILE LINKS By geography, each geographic Area should have Worksets By System: (Area 1): Skin, Interior, Equipment.
        11. it a Project has FILE LINKS By Systemic Breakdown, each System should have Worksets By geography: (Vert Circ Core): Basement Area, Podium Area, Intermediate Area, Upper Area
        The reason they relate, is the worksets are the secondary division module, assuming there are links. So HOW the Worksets get delineated depends on the scope and size of the project, and if a primary subdivision of Links is present.
        Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; August 26, 2011, 12:54 PM. Reason: edit: link removed
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Changing the name of Workset 1, just keep in mind that workset can't be deleted. Occasionally people get confused when they want to delete a workset and they can't...then remember that they renamed Workset 1 and that's it. Not a huge problem but a head scratcher in some cases.

Fewer is better... not for visibility (though historically it's been a collateral benefit that filters have since proven a better solution for). Links (both rvt and dwg...perhaps others like pcg point cloud files)

After those a workset that helps users share the workload, such as a portion of the building, scope of work or zone/region. In HVAC it could be tied to overall systems like AHU1 and connected elements versus AHU2 and its connected elements. This permits two different HVAC designers sort out everything for a given connected network of equipment.

Comment

See the BECK Content Naming Standards for naming worksets
            hey Aaron, an ID and password is needed!! :laugh:

anyway, thanks for sharing. useful as always. :thumbsup:
            Julien
            "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
            P. DAC
            Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              In order to explain how our worksets work, id have to explain how our Link setup works. So here are two excerpts from our Revit Manual:

Which is then followed a little later by:

The reason they relate, is the worksets are the secondary division module, assuming there are links. So HOW the Worksets get delineated depends on the scope and size of the project, and if a primary subdivision of Links is present.
              Very nice, but the links won't work...
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Jesus. I cant believe copying and pasting brings a network specific hyprelink with it. I get the dunce cap for the day. Now lets see if i get a letter from IT about random queries from around the world, LOL.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  Jesus. I cant believe copying and pasting brings a network specific hyprelink with it. I get the dunce cap for the day. Now lets see if i get a letter from IT about random queries from around the world, LOL.
                  That's ok it was on my head yesterday. In Outlook we have groups set up such as "structural department" and "computer problems" ... and yesterday morning I sent an email to "Structural Department" on if I could get a second computer or get a VM set up so I can do some Autodesk Beta Testing....so instead of emailing 3 people I emailed 90ish... I will gladly let you wear the cap today.

Comment

We're finding "By Package" to be a great definer of worksets - since some people will be attacking the interiors, site, envelope, etc at the same time.

One thing to add on the "visibility" aspect. It is far better to use view templates & filters for such control, but we have also found having "Workset QA" views setup, (typically in 3D) for monitoring what's in each, as a good way to check people are correctly assigning elements.

Comment