Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curtain walls vs Window components

Hello,

I'm about to ask something as a beginner and hopefully, you will help me...

Revit allows usage of something defined as "curtain walls". Now, my question is: is it possible to use that as a tool for creating something that is actually not a curtain wall?

In construction, the key difference between curtain walls and windows is in mullion profiles. Also, their usual placement is different. I sketched this detail just to compare. As u can see, its hosted on my google drive, so its safe to click:

https://doc-0o-4k-docs.googleusercon...i15eFJhejlRTlE

So, I made this facade.

https://doc-10-4k-docs.googleusercon...mlna3BEV0czQ0U

Here, all glass surfaces are part of windows. As you can see, those windows have custom shapes and some of them have unusual grids. Based on this facade, my question is: what would you do? Would you draw them using Revit "curtain walls" or would you draw them using "window families"? Is your way faster or just simply eligible?

Thank you.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by AndrejIlic View Post
    my question is: is it possible to use that as a tool for creating something that is actually not a curtain wall?
    Yes.

Some people aren't fond - but sod them - I repurpose (Revit) "curtain walls" all the time - for exactly the purposes you allude to.

I've been doing it so long now that when asked yesterday "do we have a mullion tag?" I had to Google-find that there's no such thing! :hide:

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
      Yes.

Some people aren't fond - but sod them - I repurpose (Revit) "curtain walls" all the time - for exactly the purposes you allude to.

I've been doing it so long now that when asked yesterday "do we have a mullion tag?" I had to Google-find that there's no such thing! :hide:
      Ok, thanks for your answer

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
        Some people aren't fond - but sod them - :hide:
        Btw, why they sod them?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrejIlic View Post
          Hello,

I'm about to ask something as a beginner and hopefully, you will help me...

Revit allows usage of something defined as "curtain walls". Now, my question is: is it possible to use that as a tool for creating something that is actually not a curtain wall?

In construction, the key difference between curtain walls and windows is in mullion profiles. Also, their usual placement is different. I sketched this detail just to compare. As u can see, its hosted on my google drive, so its safe to click:

https://doc-0o-4k-docs.googleusercon...i15eFJhejlRTlE

So, I made this facade.

https://doc-10-4k-docs.googleusercon...mlna3BEV0czQ0U

Here, all glass surfaces are part of windows. As you can see, those windows have custom shapes and some of them have unusual grids. Based on this facade, my question is: what would you do? Would you draw them using Revit "curtain walls" or would you draw them using "window families"? Is your way faster or just simply eligible?

Thank you.
          I didn't look at your links but thought that I'd throw my $0.02USD in anyway. I'm a curtain wall, window, and wall panel detailer by trade. I have been using Revit for 7+ years and to date I have never used or created a Revit window type. I use Revit curtain wall for Everything. Curtain walls, windows, window wall, railings, louvers, operable vents, solid panel facades, precast concrete walls, terracotta facings. Square, rectangular, round, elliptical, sloped, out of square. You name it, it can be built with a Revit curtain wall (or curtain system). Just a matter of figuring out how to do so...
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment