Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing the right template. Face based template over floor based template

Hello All,

I have been creating Revit families for my sister companies from some time now. we used to create channel family with grates included in the same family. Since the channels are always placed on the floor, we created all the channels as floor-based template. But recently we got some feedback from the customers that, they prefer face-based template over the floor based one. I'm aware that when we chose face-based template we can place on any face. But in our case, there is no chance of placing the channels on a wall or a ceiling. It will be always placed on a floor. So why does people still prefer face-based over floor based?
    Could you please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Please share your thoughts.

Face-based all the way.
    Unless your Family needs to cut the Host (like a Door or Window), Face-based is going to be more flexible and cause less problems.
    One bug issue with Hosted families is that they don't work through a link.
    So if you are an engineer placing your families on the Linked Architectural model, you're out of luck.
    Also - maybe not a problem with Floors, but definitely with Walls - if your family ends up in a Group, the Host must be included in the Group. That's easier with Face
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by sabari2504 View Post
      But in our case, there is no chance of placing the channels on a wall or a ceiling.
      One sure way to get designers to do something you don't want... tell them they can't do it.

I don't know what this product is but I would try them as un-hosted so there will be no problems with Groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment