Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classification Manager

Hello,

Is there someone who use the Classification Manager for Revit. I would like to ask you if it's possible to add my own classification system in the existing excel file (with Omniclass,Masterformat,Uniformat classification systems) , in order to have this option too.

I tried to do it, but the conversion formulas don't work in my case. Do you have to propose me something else if the above idea doesn't make sense?

Thank you in advance!

I found that with the Add-in classification Manager there is an excel file ' Classification Manager Database Custom' in which you can create your classification system.

My problem is that Revit doesn't display correctly the Number of each category (See Attached)

In the excel file I have defined numbers with 3 decimal places.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files

Comment

I use the Classification Manager, but only with Uniclass (I am in the UK). I have never tried implementing a custom classification system. Sorry I can't help on this...

Comment

Its actually very easy to do with excel.
        All you have to do is make a sheet with the four columns, (Number, Description, Level, Category ID) and save it as a Tab Delimited txt.
        Then you can load it as Assembly Code.

If you dont want to use the category ID filter you can just put zero, but this column must exist or you get error messages. Also useful to know that you can put as many columns as you like after the fourth column and it makes no difference. (So you can add other info in excel for your own use, such as translation from one coding system to another).
        "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Thank you for your answers!

Another question..I am in Switzerland, so if I want to use one of the major classification systems , I should use the Uniclass?
          Because I found that the Masterformat & Uniformat are used in US/Canada and the Omniclass created & used by the North America.

Comment

I think you should consider two things;

Do your clients/consultants/contractors etc. already use a standard system? (For example the NLsfB numbering system is widely used here in the netherlands)

And is that system suitable for how you want to use it for your own work? (For example the NLsfB system is NOT sufficient for how we work so we had to add a lot of extra levels to the standard numbering system, which kind of defies the point of using a standard.)

I find Uniclass to be a good standard because it covers a wide variety of discipllnes and new numbers can be added in a consistent way if something you need doesnt already exist. It also has separation between systems and objects (A 'Pipe' is one number, a piping system it can belong to is another).
            But in the end no classification system will be perfect for everyone, so you should also consider how you can change from one system to another, for example if you get a US client who requires Masterformat.
            "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

Hello again,

Do you know if in Classification Manager 2016 I can add my own classification system?
                I am able to do this in 2017, creating first my own shared parameters and after adding a new sheet in the existing excel file with my own classification system..but in 2016 I cant find a way to do this ( I insert a new sheet in the existing excel file with my classification system but it don't display in the Add-in and also in the excel file there is not the option to add Number Parameter & Description Parameter)

Thank you in advance!

Comment