Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWG layer exports - Wall Types: Masonry vs Metal panel over studs

Export layers for walls are too basic.

There is an A-WALL layer & there is an I-WALL layer. Of course there is an A-WALL-PATT layer that is created but there is no differentiation for separate wall types.

Is it possible to add a modifier to the exported layers to identify the different wall types? The ability to isolate different wall types such as Metal vs Masonry would be ideal. Is this even possible?

Note:
    Our engineers prefer to run loads from data collected from the DWG exports (i.e. floor plans, elevations & sections) & the ability to visually change the independant wall types would be valuable. But again.... is this even possible?

Well I believe I figured it out. Of course there may be another way but I moved the corresponding wall types to their own workset & used the workset as a layer modifier for walls. Now I get my separate layers for my wall types. If there is a "better" way please let me know.

Comment

You can do it with Filters, and tell the Filters to override to new layers. You don't even need modifiers.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        You can do it with Filters, and tell the Filters to override to new layers. You don't even need modifiers.
        Thank you for the response. It's not a request I've had from our engineers before until now.
        Is that something that I can do from my model, in MEP, or do I have to do that from the AR model?
        Thank you in advance.
        :thumbsup:

Edit:
        I actually have no clue as to how to accomplish that with filters. Could you elaborate?
        Last edited by erratic; March 29, 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

First, youll need a Filter in the view that grabs each *type of wall* that you want on a different layer. Then give it a graphical override in the Revit VG Filters dialogue box. With my Wall Types, this is very simple. It will vary base don the companies wall types you are working with.

The trick is, in the DWG Export Settings:

Youll see mine is set to *Export all properties Bylayer, AND CREATE NEW LAYERS FOR OVERRIDES.*

Thats not the default option, i believe. Its the bottom option. But this option- with Revit Filters and VG:Filter overrides- puts things that are overriden in the revit view, on their own layer, and their own color (based on the graphical overrides applied in Revit).

Been using it on this job, to change the color things based on a parameter value, so the subcontractors know what *state* things are in.
          Attached Files
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks for sharing....

Please can you explain further what you mean by "First, youll need a Filter in the view that grabs each *type of wall* that you want on a different layer. Then give it a graphical override in the Revit VG Filters dialogue box".

I am having issues trying to get mine to work. I think where I am missing it is in the first step. The second step seems straight forward. A snippet would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment