Losing Dimensions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Dimensions....

I'm doing Restaurant and Commercial Kitchen design working with a linked model from an Architect that gets updated every few weeks. It has gotten to the point where some of my dimensions that come off their walls are kind of important in that they are final.

When I bring in the new model, even though most of the walls I had pulled from have not moved...the Dims vanish!!

Any way of avoiding that?

Thank you for any input!

The dreaded old dimension to a detail line/ RP, but you'll need to manually keep it in check..
    Last edited by elton williams; March 21, 2017, 09:00 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
      The dreaded old dimension to a detail line/ RP, but you'll need to manually keep it in check..

I had wondered about that. Thanks for the confirmation!

Comment

copy/monitor the linked walls into your model.

Comment

Originally posted by tuekappel View Post
          copy/monitor the linked walls into your model.
          Ahh, thanks

Comment

Because of this specific problem our rule is to only dimension to elements in the active file. It is restrictive and very annoying but that is the solution we have found.
            In one project we did out dimensions in the other file and then linked By Linked View in order to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyB View Post
              Because of this specific problem our rule is to only dimension to elements in the active file. It is restrictive and very annoying but that is the solution we have found.
              In one project we did out dimensions in the other file and then linked By Linked View in order to see them.
              I've almost always known this, probably from an early Aaron post and Never dimension to anything in a linked model. On a current project I have C4R collaborators and when I brought this issue up early on they all scratched their heads and sort of blew me off. Then I showed them what would happen when a dimensioned object in a link was changed, altered, moved, etc. Dimensions Gone...they are now believers also.
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Did i ever share the story of how i came to that realization? Was a 9 building project, with 18 links (MEP wasnt in Revit at that time). Wanna guess how many buildings i had dimensioned before i learned the hard way? =)
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  Did i ever share the story of how i came to that realization? Was a 9 building project, with 18 links (MEP wasnt in Revit at that time). Wanna guess how many buildings i had dimensioned before i learned the hard way? =)
                  18? :hide:

Comment

Originally posted by CADiva View Post
                    18? :hide:
                    I have a current project with around 70 arch models atm (mostly linked apartment types). Thing is its only a single 28 level development. Yes it's horrible!
                    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment