Aligning separate drawings to the same coordinates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aligning separate drawings to the same coordinates

I'm having trouble aligning 2 revit models. I have received a steel drawing from the steel contractor that has the same foot print as the architectural model, but the coordinates do not line up. When I try to insert the drawing they are offset by a significant amount. I have tried to find a common location on the column lines and manually enter the coordinates, but have failed. Is there a way to “mess” the two separate models so that they align perfectly on the same elevation.
    Thanks for the help

Use Shared Locations/Coordinates. You can Publish and Aquire Coordinates.
    Do a search here and also in Revit Help.
    Take a look at Project Base Point and Survey Base Point as well.

These tools and methods are how to "match" up files correctly in Revit.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by trigger View Post
      I'm having trouble aligning 2 revit models. I have received a steel drawing from the steel contractor that has the same foot print as the architectural model, but the coordinates do not line up. When I try to insert the drawing they are offset by a significant amount. I have tried to find a common location on the column lines and manually enter the coordinates, but have failed. Is there a way to “mess” the two separate models so that they align perfectly on the same elevation.
      Thanks for the help
      I'd check out WikiHelp by pressing the question mark in the upper right corner of the Revit window and typing in Project Base Point. That will give you some direction
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Yes, yes there is.

You'll need to read up Revit's Shared Coordinates and ideally sit/talk through the setup process with your contractor (essentially one of you will define the "origin" & "orienation" of the project entire, then the other will "copy" the settings, using either of the number of methods available) - then - with everything in place in both of your models, they will key in perfectly each and every time, as will their exports, when you exchange your work.

It feels like a bit of dark art on first go, (I'm still not fond of "the workflow" after near 4 years of wrestling with it) but if you take your time to get your head around it then you'll probably end up like me insisting on it being the first thing to do on every project!

EDIT
        Beaten to first and second post, and with posts that although blunter, are actually more helpful. I really should step away from the computer after the working day is out. :crazy:
        Last edited by snowyweston; August 23, 2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment