Stumped by a self-made challenge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped by a self-made challenge...

I live and work very close to the Barbican in London, and I've recently been toying with suggesting for a current project of ours a similar exposed soffit design to THIS - but before I do, I'd like to model it, but despite a number of ideas, I can't really think how I'd go about it...

I've toyed with a crosshatch of structural beam systems, but despite modelling the vertical fillets in the beam via the profile, I "lose" the lower-face fillets of the horizontal intersections.

I've also toyed with crosshatched arrays of void blends, but that doesn't give me the control of the sketch shape for the array, and the shape this is intended for is anything less than orthogonal.

So, (having never played with them) could this be done with pattern-based panels? It wouldn't need scheduling - so the "panel" could define half-a-beam's width along it's perimeter if needs be... the grid-line dividing them would be excusable and would get lost in renders anyway.

Or could there be another way I've not thought about?

Wouldn't that be the same thing as a coffered ceiling? I'm a little lost as to what fillets you are losing when you use a structural beam system.

Maybe this (post #9) will help? There's also a link in that post to another thread that may help.
    Dan

Comment

Hi, I like such floors (from my construction point of view). I made this very quickly (not too badly I hope) with a generic model set to framing + 2 beams systems + arrays with the boxes.
      you may have to tune materials, but you can do schedules.
      hope it helps.
      Attached Files
      Julien
      "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
      P. DAC
      Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow, that looks pretty damn good to me Julien. :thumbsup:
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          Wouldn't that be the same thing as a coffered ceiling?
          Could be?!? I've always thought that related more to decorative elements (like those in the your suggested thread, which nonetheless was a good read ) whereas this a prefab-precast-system. That said, I'm not even sure on the "correct" name for that! :banghead:
          Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          I'm a little lost as to what fillets you are losing when you use a structural beam system.
          If you look closely at the photos, (and at the image jbenoit's kindly posted below) you'll see that in the bottom-most horizontal "plane", the intersections of each "beam"/"rib" aren't perfect miters - their corners are filleted - as these "systems" (again, the name of which I've not been able to deduce!) are cast, and need that tapered "pop out" affect you get with ice cube trays. Using two structural beam systems (crossed-over) doesn't appear to be able to give you that. Infact the beam members clash at their intersections - which isn't ideal.

BUT

I think we might be on to a winner :
          Originally posted by jbenoit44 View Post
          I made this very quickly (not too badly I hope) with a generic model set to framing + 2 beams systems + arrays with the boxes.
          Thank you - it looks (which is what's important right now) perfect!

Alas, not having Revit at home I'll have to check it out at work tomorrow... not exactly sure how you've applied it in-project, but getting my hands on the family should reveal all. I'll let you know how I get on! :thumbsup:
          Last edited by snowyweston; August 23, 2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Ahh I understand now. It miters, but you want the rounded corners. Yep, I think Julien wins this challenge, and a few more green bars.
            Dan

Comment

thanks guys. looking on the net, it seems that the correct words are "concrete coffered floor" or "ceiling".
              Here's a picture (googled) that shows the formwork used for this.
              I put beam systems in case of structural analysis. and you may add a floor at the top of the beams for finishing.
              Attached Files
              Julien
              P. DAC

Comment

Originally posted by jbenoit44 View Post
                I put beam systems in case of structural analysis. and you may add a floor at the top of the beams for finishing.
                Right I'm at work... and it's in 2012. I can figure out how you've taken the family and created what you've done with an array... but not why you've used a structural beam system (or was that solely for scheduling?) - but either way, the array will only really allow me orthogonal placement.

Either way, I'll need to rebuild it in 2011, but before I do...

Here's what I've come up with using curtain panels, that allow me to either use a face-placed systems; or sketch defined, work-plane based roofs (or walls, etc) - which "feels" & "looks" fine to me.... I don't believe you get cropped/triangular-edge sections in these systems, so the solid infill panel also feels adequate.

EDIT :
                Did you first array the generic model in a structural beam family then use that in a system?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by snowyweston; August 24, 2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Over here I believe it is typically called a "waffle slab". Invented in Belgium?

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                    Right I'm at work... and it's in 2012. I can figure out how you've taken the family and created what you've done with an array... but not why you've used a structural beam system (or was that solely for scheduling?) - but either way, the array will only really allow me orthogonal placement.

Either way, I'll need to rebuild it in 2011, but before I do...

Here's what I've come up with using curtain panels, that allow me to either use a face-placed systems; or sketch defined, work-plane based roofs (or walls, etc) - which "feels" & "looks" fine to me.... I don't believe you get cropped/triangular-edge sections in these systems, so the solid infill panel also feels adequate.
                    it looks great! curtain panel works too with the GM I've made.

EDIT :
                    Did you first array the generic model in a structural beam family then use that in a system?
                    the fastest way was to set the 2 beams systems with the correct fixed distance, then put in the project the GM and make arrays.

PS: what do you mean by orthogonal placement? ?
                    Julien
                    P. DAC

Comment