Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railing Extension

All:

I'm having trouble with a railing extension and would appreciate your input. The extension in the pictures below is for a wall handrail. I have the extend to Wall option selected with 0'-0" on the extension distance and "Plus Tread Depth" selected. As you can see from the pictures, this produces a funky offset transition which I can't resolve. This occurs whether it is set to Miter of Fillet

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

r
    Attached Files

I use the extend to Wall option all the time and have never run into this problem. Try setting the extension distance to something minuscule like 1/32" as a possible work around.
    Project & BIM Manager
    Spillman Farmer Architects
    Bethlehem, PA

Comment

No dice

Thanks for the suggestion, JGendell. I tried this and it didn't work. It is like Revit really wants to have a flat piece at the bottom of the run and doesn't like an extension which follows the slope of the stair run.

Originally posted by JGendell View Post
      I use the extend to Wall option all the time and have never run into this problem. Try setting the extension distance to something minuscule like 1/32" as a possible work around.

Comment

Try to draw the extension manually in the model.

Comment

Originally posted by WVReviter View Post
          Thanks for the suggestion, JGendell. I tried this and it didn't work. It is like Revit really wants to have a flat piece at the bottom of the run and doesn't like an extension which follows the slope of the stair run.
          You can manually edit the sketch line to have a "Slope". What I mean is in the path of the railing, draw a sketch line that is 1/32" long. Manually override it to be Sloped and see if that does what you are looking for.
          Project & BIM Manager
          Bethlehem, PA

Comment

I tried that as well -without success. Thanks.

Originally posted by JGendell View Post
            You can manually edit the sketch line to have a "Slope". What I mean is in the path of the railing, draw a sketch line that is 1/32" long. Manually override it to be Sloped and see if that does what you are looking for.

Comment

Interesting. Both approaches mentioned here ones I use all the time without issue. I can't understand why they're not for you. Have you tested either approach with a new or different railing?

Comment

Originally posted by Barth View Post
                Interesting. Both approaches mentioned here ones I use all the time without issue. I can't understand why they're not for you. Have you tested either approach with a new or different railing?
                Agreed.

Could it be that the original poster is using a termination family at the intersection of the wall? I have not used termination families all that often.
                Project & BIM Manager
                Bethlehem, PA

Comment

I have tested this with our office template and the OOTB Revit commercial template. Both have the same result. This is true whether I am using terminations or not. I also made a handrail assembly from scratch in each and tested it.

Originally posted by Barth View Post

Comment

It might be helpful to see how your path is drawn in plan and maybe a screenshot of your settings for the rail and the termination.
                    Rob Pivovarnick, AIA
                    Senior Project Architect
                    Michael Graves Architecture and Design
                    LinkedIn Profile | @ Twitter

Comment