Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cranked Wall Assitance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cranked Wall Assitance

    Hi Guys,

    I've been puzzling myself with this for the past 2 days, I'm what you call a beginner with Revit.

    I have a project, single level that requires cranked walls, what I mean by this can be seen in the attached picture. I've tried many things to do it, including messing with reveals, creating a mass. I point in the right direction would be incredible.

    Many thanks

    Kyle
    Attached Files

    #2
    A couple of options

    1 make the horizontal parts of the wall a floor instead : this could prove to be a problem with schedules as the floors u want to be walls will not schedule with the rest of the walls

    2 make a family for the horizontal part of the wall with all the same layers : You would have an easier time with scheduling and it would be an object u could take to multiple projects easy if you run into this situation alot

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you Darius, I'll give it a shot and get back to you

      Comment


        #4
        Welcome to the forum wigins, and to Revit

        In Revit, walls are 90-degrees to 1-degree [nominal, i.e. anything except 0-degrees]. As soon as it is 0-degrees it needs to be modelled with a floor.

        We've often encountered this and we just make a floor with the exact same build-up as the wall. Even name it similarly. But the family is floor.

        Another time you encounter this is when modelling a pelmet for a ceiling; as soon as your ceiling needs to go up at 90-degrees you need to use a wall with the same build-up as the ceiling can't be at 90-degrees.

        Hope that was helpful.
        Last edited by kamranmirza; February 17, 2017, 09:23 PM.
        Kamran Mirza
        Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

        Comment


          #5
          Thank you kamranmirza, this has clarified the situation. Your help is much appreciated. Have a good evening.

          Comment


            #6
            I tried everything, stacked flooring, single floor, ceiling, roof, soffit, and changing layer priorities, but whatever I do it doesnt connect layers of insulation and finishing layers like in plain view with walls...

            Originally posted by Darius View Post
            2 make a family for the horizontal part of the wall with all the same layers : You would have an easier time with scheduling and it would be an object u could take to multiple projects easy if you run into this situation alot
            Can you make a procedure creating that family ?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Minotaur View Post
              I tried everything, stacked flooring, single floor, ceiling, roof, soffit, and changing layer priorities, but whatever I do it doesnt connect layers of insulation and finishing layers like in plain view with walls...



              Can you make a procedure creating that family ?
              I guess you have two options here:
              1- In your sections, go to View-> Cut Profile, so you can extend the layers of insulation or others layers properly to join the other component (wall/floor).
              2- Create parts from the walls and floors, so you can manipulate/extend the layers individually.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by asintoras View Post
                I guess you have two options here:
                1- In your sections, go to View-> Cut Profile, so you can extend the layers of insulation or others layers properly to join the other component (wall/floor).
                2- Create parts from the walls and floors, so you can manipulate/extend the layers individually.
                Like I said tried everything, no good result, it doesnt connect layers but give priorities of floor layers over wall layers or vice versa, I they have to be connected because thermal bridges etc etc..

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Minotaur View Post
                  because thermal bridges etc etc..
                  thermal bridges should be handled by details - if you must have your model reflect constructions that close to desired reality you will need to consider breaking down the elements further - and "key" pieces together (at that level of detail work you can't rely on Revit to auto-clean your junctions for you anyway)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    good point, but is it going to affect thermal or some other analysis later ?

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X