Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranked Wall Assitance

Hi Guys,

I've been puzzling myself with this for the past 2 days, I'm what you call a beginner with Revit.

I have a project, single level that requires cranked walls, what I mean by this can be seen in the attached picture. I've tried many things to do it, including messing with reveals, creating a mass. I point in the right direction would be incredible.

Many thanks

Kyle
    Attached Files

A couple of options

1 make the horizontal parts of the wall a floor instead : this could prove to be a problem with schedules as the floors u want to be walls will not schedule with the rest of the walls

2 make a family for the horizontal part of the wall with all the same layers : You would have an easier time with scheduling and it would be an object u could take to multiple projects easy if you run into this situation alot

Comment

Thank you Darius, I'll give it a shot and get back to you

Comment

Welcome to the forum wigins, and to Revit

In Revit, walls are 90-degrees to 1-degree [nominal, i.e. anything except 0-degrees]. As soon as it is 0-degrees it needs to be modelled with a floor.

We've often encountered this and we just make a floor with the exact same build-up as the wall. Even name it similarly. But the family is floor.

Another time you encounter this is when modelling a pelmet for a ceiling; as soon as your ceiling needs to go up at 90-degrees you need to use a wall with the same build-up as the ceiling can't be at 90-degrees.

Hope that was helpful.
        Last edited by kamranmirza; February 17, 2017, 09:23 PM.
        Kamran Mirza
        Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

Comment

Thank you kamranmirza, this has clarified the situation. Your help is much appreciated. Have a good evening.

Comment

I tried everything, stacked flooring, single floor, ceiling, roof, soffit, and changing layer priorities, but whatever I do it doesnt connect layers of insulation and finishing layers like in plain view with walls...

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            2 make a family for the horizontal part of the wall with all the same layers : You would have an easier time with scheduling and it would be an object u could take to multiple projects easy if you run into this situation alot
            Can you make a procedure creating that family ?

Comment

Originally posted by Minotaur View Post
              I tried everything, stacked flooring, single floor, ceiling, roof, soffit, and changing layer priorities, but whatever I do it doesnt connect layers of insulation and finishing layers like in plain view with walls...

Can you make a procedure creating that family ?
              I guess you have two options here:
              1- In your sections, go to View-> Cut Profile, so you can extend the layers of insulation or others layers properly to join the other component (wall/floor).
              2- Create parts from the walls and floors, so you can manipulate/extend the layers individually.

Comment

Originally posted by asintoras View Post
                I guess you have two options here:
                1- In your sections, go to View-> Cut Profile, so you can extend the layers of insulation or others layers properly to join the other component (wall/floor).
                2- Create parts from the walls and floors, so you can manipulate/extend the layers individually.
                Like I said tried everything, no good result, it doesnt connect layers but give priorities of floor layers over wall layers or vice versa, I they have to be connected because thermal bridges etc etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Minotaur View Post
                  because thermal bridges etc etc..
                  thermal bridges should be handled by details - if you must have your model reflect constructions that close to desired reality you will need to consider breaking down the elements further - and "key" pieces together (at that level of detail work you can't rely on Revit to auto-clean your junctions for you anyway)

Comment

good point, but is it going to affect thermal or some other analysis later ?

Comment