Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do phased walls cause room enclosure problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do phased walls cause room enclosure problems?

Finally, had to place room separation lines down. (works now)

At one point, I even deleted the demolition windows, doors. Still wouldn't enclose.

Had any experience with this?
    Attached Files
    Trevor Pan

http://www.trevorpan.com

actually got the
    Last edited by trevorpan; February 9, 2017, 09:44 PM.
    Trevor Pan

Comment

Rooms are phase aware - so I would say your phase for that view is set to a view where the walls have been demolished: therefore your rooms will not find the demolished walls. Are those wall demolished in the phase you are in?
      This makes sense: your rooms should be relevant for the phase you are putting them in.
      Same goes for schedules. If the phase of the schedule is set to be in a phase that the walls dont exist - then they wont schedule.
      Alex Page
      RevitWorks Ltd
      Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

What do you mean by "cause problems"?
        Rooms are Phase-specific, so if the Walls are in a phase beyond where your Rooms are place, they wouldn't be Bounding.
        But if the Walls are in the Current phase, or in a previous phase (and not demolished), they should be fine.

I mention "not demolished" because the Walls in your plan are showing dashed & that usually means they have been demo'd.
        Even if they are placed and demo'd in the same Phase, they may not work.
        Last edited by DaveP; February 9, 2017, 07:28 PM. Reason: Great minds, Alex. Great minds
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Rooms in general aren't "phased" (you can't demo them, they don't persist into other phases); they are limited to the phase they exist in only. If you need the "same" room in 2 or more phases, you will need to place another room in that phase. Following that logic, you will notice Room Schedules only have a Phase option, not Phase Filter option as well - they will only report rooms from the selected Phase.

edit - Ha, we all said about the same thing
          Last edited by cellersick; February 9, 2017, 07:27 PM.
          Chris Ellersick

Comment

Walls don't always clean-up with other walls well once they qualify as Demolished or Temporary. This also occurs if Dis-allow Join has been used on the ends of walls. These wall edits can cause them to act up, screw up their ability to provide adequate boundaries for Rooms (and Spaces). For example, if you Split a wall so part of it can be demolished it may not provide the closure that a room requires once you've finished making the necessary changes.
            Last edited by Steve_Stafford; February 9, 2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Did get the schedule to work, as shown here.

I was trying to show demo and existing in one plan (to cut down on plans shown in working drawings), I think cutting the walls for the window addition messed something up.

How do you handle a situation where you are remodeling? Do you cut the existing wall, and splice with a demo portion? Or do you have:

- an existing plan
              - demo plan
              - new plan

If you have any insights, that'd be great. The phase of the plan is demo and elements were demolished in demo. I've got three phases now of:

- existing
              - demo
              - new
              Attached Files
              Last edited by trevorpan; February 9, 2017, 10:17 PM.
              Trevor Pan

Comment

Lots of threads on RFO about Demo Phase
                Here's one:
                Bottom line, you don't need a Demo Phase. Demo View, yes. Phase, no
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

thanks Dave, alot of times, I start with one snag and run to the next. Good post.
                  Trevor Pan

Comment