Export detail line to individual layers in DWG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export detail line to individual layers in DWG

I have a hundred different detail line styles that need to be exported to DWG (please, let's not get into "why"... in this case, it's not pertinent). When I open the exported DWG, all the detail lines are on the same generic "A-DETL" layer. Not cool!

Is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY have Revit export the detail line styles to respectively named layers in DWG?

I know I can individually map them in the export settings, but that takes a lot of time.

Thanks!

Nope, defining the export settings is the "automatic" way... at least you do it "once"...hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
      Nope, defining the export settings is the "automatic" way... at least you do it "once"...hopefully.
      On that: where is the Save As button in 2012? Prior versions would let you save/load the customized layer settings. Can't seem to find it now...
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Iru69
        Is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY have Revit export the detail line styles to respectively named layers in DWG?
        Is it not easier to do this task from the other end, in AutoCAD? Once all the lines get there from Revit, a Lisp routine can change all the lines to different layers very quickly.
        Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
          On that: where is the Save As button in 2012? Prior versions would let you save/load the customized layer settings. Can't seem to find it now...
          It is a project setting now. It used to be managed from an external txt file but is now somethign that can be transferred from project to project with the "transfer project standards" tool.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...7-Layer_Ma2117
          Jeff Hanson
          Sr. Subject Matter Expert
          Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            It is a project setting now. It used to be managed from an external txt file but is now somethign that can be transferred from project to project with the "transfer project standards" tool.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...7-Layer_Ma2117
            WHY????
            The external txt let me export into different settings. I had them setup for different clients (way back when I actually cared...) I mean, ok, nobody actually noticed that I stopped using it (LOL) but what was the reason for changing this???
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
              WHY????
              The external txt let me export into different settings. I had them setup for different clients (way back when I actually cared...) I mean, ok, nobody actually noticed that I stopped using it (LOL) but what was the reason for changing this???
              You still can create different setups for different clients. You just manage the setups from within the project template instead of an external file. The pattern is very similiar to createing a new material or a new filter in a project. You duplicate a setup, rename, and then change the settings as desired. Now the settings can travel with the RVT file. The management of the different setups is easier because you do not need to manage an external file. The new format also allows for additional layer modifiers and linetype support which was not possible with the TXT file. Legacy support for TXT files is still there.
              Jeff Hanson
              Sr. Subject Matter Expert
              Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

So I CAN have multiple setups, but they are all in my project template file? Sorry, I didn't get that part from the wiki... my bad :hide:
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I just went ahead and manually renamed each one in the export settings. Seems kind of crazy that there's not an option to export each line style as its own layer. Fortunately, this was a once in blue moon extremely unusual circumstances sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                    Is it not easier to do this task from the other end, in AutoCAD? Once all the lines get there from Revit, a Lisp routine can change all the lines to different layers very quickly.
                    If all the lines end up on the same layer then potentially their "identity" is lost to Acad which means that figuring out which is which is probably not easier in Acad via LISP, especially if you don't know how to get lost in special parenthesis. (nice run on sentence!)

Fwiw, I like the Export Layers option: (third of three) Export all properties BYLAYER, and create new layers for overrides. This means that a new layer will get created for items when you override the line pattern via V/G or the Linework tool. Otherwise the element (line) ends up on the same layer with other things and may get distorted into using the same color/pattern etc.

The first option (of the three) Export category properties BYLAYER and overrides BYENTITY is much like in Acad where someone changes the color or pattern of casework lines for overhead by overriding the entity instead of using a different layer. The middle option forces things to be BYLAYER, right or wrong...mostly wrong so I avoid that one.
                    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; August 22, 2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment